The Online Technology Group is responsible for building and operating the foundation technologies that underpin online products including BBC News and iPlayer.
Our portfolio includes BIDI, the CDN (content delivery network) at the heart of the BBC strategy to transition the way we deliver audio and video to our audiences, from broadcast to over IP.
In order to ensure a high quality of service, we operate services that provide near real-time operational views on client device consumption of content, as well as those that measure the effectiveness of BIDI compared against third-party CDNs.
We're looking for a product manager to own the roadmap for these services and continuously increase the value we gain from analysing the way deliver audio and video content
The Ideal Candidate
- You must have excellent Communication skills and a collaborative attitude.
- You will have shaped the roadmap for a technology product, and led engineers to deliver against it.
- You will be comfortable working with technical detail.
- Working commercially or operationally with CDNs.
- Engineering or architecting high throughput fault tolerant data pipelines.
- Operating high performance, high availability services on public cloud or on-premises infrastructure.
Grade 8 (Proposed band D)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, healthcare, gym and much more
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.