Production Manager - BBC Studios Unscripted, Bristol
BBC Studios in Bristol produce a wide range of original, diverse, well-loved and highly acclaimed TV productions, such as Blue Planet II, Dynasties, Springwatch, DIY SOS, Antiques Roadshow and Countryfile.
The role is based in Bristol but you may be required to travel to locations across the UK. In general normal office hours will apply, however the nature of the role means that a flexible approach to working time will be necessary.
- Responsible for scheduling, budgeting and managing the production(s) in line with divisional requirements
- Responsible for identifying and sourcing appropriate resource and location requirements for the production(s) at the earliest possible stage.
- Contributes to the commissioning and production start of production process, ensuring resources and editorial aspirations are aligned.
- Ensures compliance with BBC policies, guidelines, legislative and regulatory requirements, in order to minimise the BBC’s exposure to risk and to deliver value for money through effective and efficient management of people and resources.
- Accountable for ensuring all necessary rights are acquired for the complete delivery of the production(s), escalating any issues at the earliest stage.
- Supports the Production Executive (or equivalent role) to identify opportunities for commercial exploitation at an early stage and ensure requirements are achievable.
- Accountable for resolving any operational and financial issues commensurate with the role.
- Manages the financial and operational performance of the production(s), based on expert knowledge and accurate financial information.
- Responsible for preparing, managing and monitoring production (& IT) budgets, and for forecasting and reporting progress in line with best practice. Assessing financial viability of content ideas that may arise during production.
- Ensures production teams are aware of, and adhere to the processes for fully and accurately capturing and managing metadata in line with BBC guidelines and policies.
- Identifies training and development needs of direct reports and ensures performance management arrangements are in place.
- Maintains a safe and healthy working environment at all times, escalating any issues or areas of concern.
- Proactively looks for ways of improving efficiency within production, promotes diversity and champions the rationale for new ways of working and/or for adopting new production related technology.
- Responsible for efficiently and effectively deploying approved technologies on the production(s)
- Supports other internal departments with the implementation of their strategies (e.g. HR, Workplace, Procurement, Finance, etc)
- Working with editorial and production colleagues to devise and implement plans to reduce environmental impact across the production.
Are you the right candidate?
- Demonstrable working knowledge of end-to-end multi-platform production with a level of technical understanding to enable the most efficient production of content.
- Effective project management skills and proven experience of delivering projects.
- Thorough knowledge of commissioning and local green light procedures in order to drive the processes, ensuring resources and editorial aspirations are aligned.
- Considerable experience of delivering a range of productions across a range of output or genres, on time and on budget.
- Experience of monitoring and managing Health & Safety on a production
- Able to advise on production systems and support the implementation of new technologies on productions.
- Able to manage interpersonal relationships effectively and work collaboratively within a diverse team.
- Interpersonal and communication skills sufficient to establish and maintain effective relations with a wide range of contacts.
- Proven track record of being organised and responsive in fast paced environments
- Demonstrates strong organisational and planning skills and manages conflicting demands to meet deadlines.
- Able to interpret an editorial brief, explain commissioning requirements and suggest ideas for maximising the value from Productions.
- Able to proactively devise new ideas for working more efficiently
- Strong negotiating skills, able to influence, manage and negotiate deals and contracts in line with BBC policies and guidelines. Thorough knowledge of the market for various types of supplier and resources.
- Demonstrates team leadership skills - able to lead, develop and motivate teams across a range of output.
- Demonstrable business and finance skills, able to create, forecast and manage significant production resource and budgets.
- Up-to-date knowledge of the BBC and the wider industry.
Contract type: Fixed Term - Full Time
Start Date:9th March
Must be available for interviews week beginning 2nd March
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here