Production Trainee Scheme 2020
For 2020/21 the BBC Production Trainee Scheme is working exclusively with BBC Three to find brilliant, new talent, from all and any walks of life, to join us in our Three production teams in Birmingham and London.
The Production Trainee Scheme is a great opportunity for creative content makers to learn how to develop ideas and bring them to life and gaining a place on the scheme could be a fantastic start to your media career in digital content making.
- If you want to make exciting and ground-breaking content for BBC Three and you’re enthusiastic, driven and resilient, then we want to hear from you.
- If you thrive on coming up with new ideas and are passionate about telling stories that challenge, move and excite others, then we want to hear from you.
- If you love using your creative abilities to connect with people via social media, then we want to hear from you.
The BBC’s Production Trainee Scheme is recognised across the broadcast industry for providing gold-standard training and development opportunities. It will also provide you with great foundation skills for building and developing a career in digital media production.
To be accepted onto the scheme you do not need any academic qualifications, or specific training, just a passion that you can demonstrate for coming up with ideas and creating content. You also need to have bags of energy and the determination to succeed in what can be a challenging industry at times.
This scheme is one of the main entry-level routes into BBC Three and other production based roles across the BBC.
During the 10-month scheme you will develop a broad understanding and knowledge of the production process, from idea concept through to transmission. You will gain a range of skills and experience and learn how to pitch and research ideas, as well as how to create content for a variety of content.
The scheme combines work experience placements/on-the-job training with bespoke BBC Academy learning delivered by industry professionals.
You will need to be flexible. Embedded in teams producing some of BBC Three’s most popular content can sometimes involve unpredictable hours and occasionally being at different locations.
This year the main bases for the Production Trainee Scheme are London and Birmingham. You will get to select your location preference on the application form.
Whilst you're on the scheme you may have the opportunity to specialise in a particular area of production - you could be focussing on developing ideas and stories (editorial) or learning how to schedule and set up filming (production management) or mastering how to use technical kit to capture footage or edit.
For the duration of the trainee scheme, you will have a scheme manager, along with a placement manager. Both will help guide you through your traineeship and towards your learning objectives.
Are you the right candidate?
This is an entry-level scheme. We aren’t looking for qualifications or past professional experience.
We are looking for people who can demonstrate a genuine passion and interest for creating content, especially digital and social media content. This could be work experience (not more than 12 months continuous work) or via personal projects like running an online blog, creating short films etc.
Demonstrating your passion is not limited to these activities. The main thing we’re interested in is you as a person, your potential and your unique voice. Tell us what makes you a creative individual and why BBC Three needs you to help shape and deliver its content!
So, tell us all about how you can help us create exciting, innovative and ground-breaking content and apply now if…
- You have a voice that you feel is not currently being heard on the BBC
- You have opinions on how BBC Three connects with its audiences
- You are bursting with fresh, new ideas, especially for TV or digital content
- Along with knowledge and interest in the wider media industry, you have knowledge of BBC Three content and opinions on what works, what could be better and what’s missing from BBC Three’s offer to the audience.
- You have the drive and ambition to embrace new challenges and opportunities
- You are able to demonstrate a passion for working in a creative environment (through extracurricular activities or studies, for example)
- You have heaps of enthusiasm and are able to work flexibly within a fast-paced production team.
This scheme will not be relevant to you if you have had continuous paid production work in the media industry or work at the BBC for longer than 12 months.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and over 18 by September 2020 to be considered for this opportunity.
If you have a disability, you will be able to select for your application to go through the Extend Hub when you apply. All of our vacancies are also listed on VERCIDA. Click here to view our vacancies in an accessible format
Salary: £21,216 (or £25,898 for London Trainees)
The Production Trainee Scheme offers places in London and Birmingham with BBC Three
- Deadline for applications: 29th March 2020. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis and will also be reviewed after this date. On the application form we will ask you to tell us why you think you're right for this scheme.
- Video Assessment: If you are successful at the first stage you will be invited to complete a video assessment. You may be invited before the application closing deadline so we advise to keep an eye on your email (please also check your junk email). You will have approximately one week to complete the video questions.
- Assessment Centre: If you are successful following your video interview, you will be invited to an assessment centre.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) per annum.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here