To deliver compelling ongoing programme schedules for a new highly curated streaming service in North America, that is focused on politics, culture, and ideas. These schedules need to optimise user engagement and will drive the forward planning process across marketing and comms.
- Schedule and curate a new BBC VOD Service across multiple platforms in North America.
- Play a key role in the overall editorial direction of the service, using both data and creativity to design the most compelling forward plans. This includes bringing a local perspective that adds spark to a stong creative partnership with the London-based team.
- Identify local trends, talent, and creative opportunities that the service needs to jump on and respond to.
- Design themes, stunts, and editorial initiatives that drive engagement to the service and provide trigger points for the digital marketing teams.
- Editorial account management with key distribution partners, ensuring that forward plans optimise opportunities for traffic and engagement. This includes working with them on future platform priorities, identifying opportunities to layer our content/themes onto their initiatives, and having a deep understanding of their needs and how we can best serve them.
- Ensure the programme schedule output meets specific supplier and platform agreed requirements, including agreed refresh, volume, content quality, and delivery dates.
- Support the Editor-In-Chief in content selection. This means screening, reviewing, and suggesting the best and most relevant programming to acquire from multiple sources.
- Oversee the mapping of the schedules onto the wireframe design of the platform partners, both at launch and on an ongoing basis. The launch phase will require creative solutions to achieve the editorial vision on our platform partners, and will be a significant workstream. Ongoing there needs to be consistent monitoring, amending, and improving how the service sits on the UX of the platform partners, and working closely with Operations teams (both internal and third party) to optimise the user experience.
- Generates programme schedules and ensures their timely delivery to all parties, both in-house and external, including platform partners.
- Work with Insight team to develop a deep understanding of target audience, and proactively build strategies around their needs. This requires an iterative, reactive, and dynamic approach to forward planning.
- Co-ordinates editorial information across campaign planning process, ensuring all marketing and communications teams are across both forward plans and reactive strategies, and working closely with them to identify engagement opportunities.
- Monitors competitor services, both programming and marketing, and is relentlessly proactive in finding tactical and strategic wins against them.
- Ensure metadata for all scheduled content is correct, and that it facilitates the curation strategy on third party platforms.
- Consistently and rigorously analyses platform performance data, tweaking and amending the schedules to optimise service engagement on third party platforms.
- Thinks creatively about trend data outside of service performance, identifying trends and opportunities that can strengthen the editorial offering.
Scope & Impact
- Contributes to the overall editorial vision and is responsible for translating it into a dynamic and deliverable curation plan that optimises user engagement and drives comms/marketing activity.
- Is the North American angle on the overall editorial direction of the service, able to challenge central assumptions, propose and implement alternatives, and ensure the service stays dynamic and relevant.
- Is a key editorial voice and able to represent the service confidently at stakeholder meetings, both internal and external.
- Contributes to overall BBC VOD platform strategy, in particular the editorial implications of distribution growth.
Daily contact with Editor-In-Chief
Daily contact with Head Of Insight
Weekly contact with teams in Content Acquisitions, Operations, Programme Compliance, Programme Rights, Digital Marketing, Creative, Press and PR.
Weekly contact with teams at third party platforms.
Are you the right candidate?
Successful candidate will show ability to:
- Deliver and implement a compelling plan against an overall editorial vision.
- Communicate effectively to clients at junior and senior levels, and at all levels internally
- Demonstrate restless / questing mindset and behaviour
- Work collaboratively
- Maintain a global mindset: thinking and acting for both local and global needs
- Lead change, demonstrating resilience and an ability to listen, respond and hold course
- Be accountable and make bold decisions.
- Create shared understanding by being transparent
- Be highly credible in dealings with clients at all levels and internally
- Experience in digital curation is essential.
- Experience in VOD and OTT environments is desirable.
- Experience of North American video market is desirable.
- Experience in specialist factual programming is desirable
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Insatiable consumer of ‘smart thinking’ content, with strong and well-informed opinions on global affairs, and a passion for arts & culture.
- Direct experience in programming and curating digital content.
- Strong understanding of the North American non-linear landscape and OTT services.
- Passion for BBC content, especially documentaries.
- Good knowledge of metadata requirements, and the required high attention to detail to deliver on this.
- High degree of creative and analytical thinking.
- Strong communication skills and experience in coordinating various departments around a content schedule.
- Strong excel skills.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here