Project Coordinator - Audience Engagement, BBC News
About the WS 2020 programme
The World Service 2020 programme aims to increase the impact and reach of BBC World Service by spending 290 million specifically allocated by the government over the next four years. In addition to specific new services, the programme aims to strengthen the BBCs overall international offer to the benefit of all audiences.
About the BBC News Audience Engagement team
Audience Engagement is a small, multi-disciplinary team that sits in the BBC newsroom, in action since mid-2015. We have three priorities for getting BBC journalism in front of more audiences:
- Creating of a data-led newsroom,
- Connecting with underserved audiences,
- Increasing referrals to BBC News from search and social
We employ a mix of journalists, engineers and data scientists and analysts to work on these priorities, and build everything from elegant journalist-friendly dashboards to complex algorithms that assist journalists in content commissioning, production and distribution.
- Assist the business analyst in creating and maintaining user-friendly repositories for project documentation (including technical architecture, project progress reports, project roadmap, sprint goals and retrospective actions, stakeholder requirements, risks and dependencies)
- Support the BA to ensure any technical and non-technical requirements are captured and understood by those involved in the projects
- Organise and minute meetings as part of our agile delivery process standups, sprint planning, sprint reviews and retrospectives and work with the BA to ensure retrospective lessons are put in place
- Organise and minute meetings with other team members and stakeholders
- Act as a central point of contact
- Work with the BA and senior stakeholders in AE to identify and communicate progress updates per a communications plan
- Organise other administrative tasks such as travel arrangements, booking meetings, and the onboarding of new team members
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, with demonstrable experience of being able to prioritise, deliver tasks and solve problems
- Approachable and enthusiastic demeanour with excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely across multiple teams and with various stakeholders
- Excellent attention to detail and quality, and ability to ensure any documentation is consistent
- Proactive and able to work alone or as part of a team to make progress happen
- Scrum Master Certification with experience of supporting an agile team in delivery
- Knowledge of BBC and/or media sector
- Broad understanding of project delivery in an online environment
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for an enthusiastic and proactive project coordinator to help us deliver existing and future projects in Audience Engagement, a multidisciplinary team based in the BBC newsroom at Broadcasting House, London.
We have two existing projects in delivery: the first is World Service Onward Journeys (WSOJ) algorithmically generated onward journeys for growing the World Service audience. The second is Telescope, an in-house analytics dashboard for the BBC newsroom to better understand and act on audience data in near-real time. We plan to deliver multiple data science projects in the future, which the successful candidate will need to work across.
Our projects are complex and stimulating. They involve managing communication between multiple teams across engineering and data science to deliver exciting software that helps BBC journalism grow its reach and engagement.
The ideal candidate will be a clear communicator with excellent attention to detail and proven organisational skills. Scrum Master certification and/or experience of working in agile teams is desired, but not essential. This role will be reporting to the Business Analyst in the Audience Engagement team.
Continuing / Permanent
Grades 7 (Proposed Band C)
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more
About the Company
BBC Design + Engineering
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people.We are the team thats building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Childrens services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, youll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.