BBC digital products has a mission to bring the breadth of BBC online content to our audience. Our portfolio of products include News, Sport, Weather, Children's, Bitesize and the BBC Homepage, plus a number of technical services enabling the production of these experiences. This role will begin working with both our core Navigation product and services, together with our BBC Search product teams, although there may well be opportunities in the future to work on other products in the Digital Products Portfolio.
This is an opportunity for you to join a growing team in a lively creative environment. You have the challenge of working in a large organisation with diverse groups of stakeholders, utilising your project management and agile software delivery skills to lead and coach. Working with product managers, user experience and software engineering team leaders you will be responsible for choosing the best approach for your projects.
Due to the nature of our product mix, a successful project manager will be confident in leading large scale projects and smaller rapid cycle of features, skilled in both traditional and agile software methods. They will understand and communicate highly technical material, present options and act as negotiator for diverse groups of stakeholders. They will be able to lead internal teams, work with a blend independent suppliers and contractors across the UK and potentially offshore.
- You will work with the ‘business or product owner’ and stakeholders to agree the project objectives, agree scope, critical success factors, deliverables, outcomes and benefits.
- You will plan and manage the stakeholder communication to achieve engagement.
- Producing and managing the day-to-day progress against a detailed plan and schedule/roadmap.
- You will manage the project within agreed scope, time, cost and quality constraints.
- You will identify, track and manage progress, risks, issues, assumptions, dependencies, interdependencies and changes. Making effective use of reporting, communication and escalation.
- You will provide input to the Department Delivery Process for new projects and the future roadmap.
- You will play a key role in helping the team to deliver quickly by resolving impediments, facilitating meeting where required and working with internal teams to plan for future changes.
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven experience of delivering audience-facing web products, in an iterative or agile environment.
- Demonstrable experience of being able to manage difficult stakeholders, navigate ambiguous, changeable, and complex environments to achieve the desired outcomes.
- Demonstrable experience of applying sequential and agile project management techniques to make decisions, solve problems and ensure quality of work.
- Proven and demonstrable experience of monitoring, managing & effectively communicating risks, issues, assumptions, dependencies, interdependencies and changes to stakeholders.
- Experience of ensuring quality of software projects by working with software testing teams and managing software defect resolution.
- Excellent and well-practiced communication (verbal, written, listening), inter-personal and influencing skills with the ability to bridge specialism and business through user-friendly language.
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills with the ability to work proactively with minimal supervision.
- An understanding and/or application of OKR (Objectives & Key Results) Methodology in previous roles are desirable.
- Proven experience in leading, building and motivating effective project team(s).
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here