Voice and Conversational User Interfaces are the new frontier in interaction with internet services. From Alexa to Siri, Google Assistant to Cortana, the way we interact with the internet is changing, and fast. Assistants are rapidly becoming a part of everyday life for millions of our consumers and are now the fastest growing medium for interaction with the internet across the country. Our mission within the newly formed BBC Voice and Conversational Interfaces team is to shape interaction with the BBC at both an audience and organisational level through these assistants, and pioneer new formats and technology that bring the BBC to life in an artificial intelligence first world. It’s exciting stuff.
The Project Manager will be responsible for successful delivery one or more projects that come under the umbrella of the Voice and Conversational User Interfaces programme of work. For example, you might be working with our product and editorial teams from across the business to build the BBC’s content offering and interaction model to all 3rd party assistants, or working with our platform colleagues to develop the technology platforms that will power the BBC as we evolve in to an AI first digital world. You might also work with remote teams in London and potentially overseas.
- Responsible for the delivery of projects assigned to you, ensuring they are delivered within the defined governance process of Design & Engineering and to the expectations of key stakeholders.
- Manage and report on project deliverables, progress against milestones, budget, resources in accordance with project governance framework already in place and seek to continuously work towards delivery excellence.
- Allocate tasks to assigned resources in order to ensure that the projects meet agreed quality, cost and timescale parameters to realise benefits that align with the project sponsors expectations.
- Responsible for the risk & issue management for projects under their control. This includes the maintenance of project RAID logs ensuring that risks & issues are regularly assessed, suitable mitigation actions are identified and risks & issues are appropriately owned through to closure.
- Listen to, understand and interpret stakeholder requirements and manage their expectations through all stages of the product development life cycle.
- Develop strong constructive relationships and excellent communication with other BBC departments, including Markets & Audiences, Editorial, Platform, Research & Development and Technology Strategy & Architecture. You may also have to liaise with wider Commercial, Business Stakeholders, Central IT, Finance, HR & Legal teams to ensure product requirements are met by the internal teams and third party solution providers.
- Ensure compliance with standards with regard to data protection and security, as well as ensuring compliance with BBC policies
The Ideal Candidate
- Willingness to travel significantly between BBC sites and to third parties in the UK and abroad.
- Flexible and good with working in an environment of frequent change. Things are changing fast and your best laid plans will be often need to pivot. You should embrace this as an accepted way of working. It will happen.
- An ability to manage, motivate and enthuse a team in which the landscape and priorities are often subject to change.
- Solid understanding and hands-on experience of budgeting projects.
- Demonstrable experience of managing for results in a matrix structure, holding others to account to deliver high quality outputs on time, on budget and in line with requirements.
- Quick learner who can grasp new technical and scientific concepts, and can foster an environment conducive to collaborative problem solving.
- Experience of working with multiple third parties and successfully managing both vendor and internal team contributions to the project.
- Experience of working with remote teams.
- Experience of implementing cloud-based solutions.
- Excellent team building skills.
- Strong stakeholder management skills.
- Excellent negotiations skills and ability to manage relationships and adopt an assertive approach where appropriate.
- Organised, calm and able to work under pressure in a fast moving environment remaining motivated and committed at all times.
- Demonstrable professional development with a recognised project management qualification or equal experience (e.g. PRINCE2, Agile certification).
- Educated to Masters level or above, with a strong understanding of research methodology.
- Experience of delivering a project of size up to £500k.
- Working knowledge of BBC output; editorial, compliance and regulatory issues for the BBC.
Grade 8 (proposed band D)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.