With over 350 hours of in-house output a year, BBC Scripted Production makes some of the most original, diverse and highly acclaimed television. These range from continuing drama such as River City, EastEnders, Holby City, Casualty, Pobol y Cwm and Doctors and Daytime Series & Serials such as Father Brown and Shakespeare & Hathaway.
Working to the Series Designer, the Prop Store Manager will assist with the daily organisation of the Design department and oversee the day to day running of the prop store.
This role will involve management of the asset register, the consumables budget, controlling storage of general stock and set builds, managing prop store labour requirements, overseeing Computer and I.T. requirements for the department and in action onset.
The role will also require closely working with Roath Locks FM department to adhere to and improve Casualty’s sustainability requirements.
Your duties will include -
- Administration and maintenance of the Design Departmental Asset Register and other HSE Registers
- Anticipate factors like to cause a problem for the production and formulate appropriate contingency plans.
- Management of design department consumables budget
- Manage computer controlled simulations and graphics.
- Distribute modified mobile phone graphics
- Resolve logistical problems as they arise.
- Responsibility for all furniture and set dressing under the guidance of and in conjunction with the Series Production Designer.
- Organise and maintain strict continuity props in character storage areas.
- Organise and co-ordinate prop loans and returns to internal and external suppliers and sources.
- Maintain prop store tools and working areas including food preparation areas, studios and surrounding areas
- Maintain prop store stock levels for consumable items and ensure best practice protocols are adhered to.
- Read and breakdown scripts and check daily call sheets for character IT props and ensure items are charged and working.
- Perform other duties as reasonably requested by the Series production Designer
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role you will need to demonstrate the following -
- Significant experience of managing and the day to day running of a Props Store
- Experience of managing budgets and stock control
- Good knowledge of category 5/6E networking systems
- Good knowledge of operating systems including windows 10 and earlier versions including server products
- Good knowledge of software graphics software including Adobe Photoshop, Adobe After Effects highly desirable
- Resilience and stamina sufficient to sustain performance when under pressure from tight schedules and long working hours
- Evidence of interpersonal and communication skills sufficient to establish credibility with colleagues and to foster effective working relationships with a wide range of production and non-production personnel, internal and external to the BBC
- Effective time-management and self-scheduling abilities
- Ability to keep abreast of professional, technological and working practice changes
- Possession of a valid driving licence is desirable
For this role / Ar gyfer y swydd yma:
Welsh language skills are not necessary / Nid yw sgiliau yn yr iaith Gymraeg yn angenrheidiol
Contract: 12 Month FTC / Attachment
Location: BBC Roath Lock Studios
*Please note that this is a standard Studios Production contract and potentially can involve up to 55 hours per week*
**Please note that this is a generic job description for an Prop Master. However, this advert is for an Prop Store Manager on Casualty and requirements and duties specific to this role can be found below**
Applications may be submitted in Welsh, and an application submitted in Welsh will not be treated less favourably than an application submitted in English. / Mae modd cyflwyno ceisiadau yn Gymraeg, ac ni fydd cais a gyflwynir yn Gymraeg yn cael ei drin yn llai ffafriol na chais a gyflwynir yn Saesneg.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here