Research & Development Engineer
Interested in shaping the way viewers watch BBC programmes in the future?
We're looking for an outstanding research & development engineer to join our Digital TV team at BBC R&D. You'll work with other departments across the BBC to get existing and new TV services to air on Freeview, Freesat and Sky and work with suppliers to make sure that equipment is able to deliver the BBCs needs.
Together, we'll ensure that viewers are able to watch our programmes as widely as possible in the best possible quality.
Based in research labs in the North and South of the UK, BBC Research & Development is made up of around 200 highly specialist research engineers, scientists, ethnographers, designers and producers, working on every aspect of the broadcast chain, from Audiences, Production and Distribution right through to the Programmes themselves.
As an R&D Engineer you will be responsible for research & development projects; either small projects that stand alone, or parts of larger projects where youll work to a Senior R&D Engineer or Project Manager. These projects may deliver hardware or software systems, technical standards, or research knowledge. You will also be required to provide technical advice and consultancy within your own field of expertise.
The Ideal Candidate
Its essential you have:
- a degree (or equivalent) in the fields of science, engineering or computing
- an ability to identify and resolve important problems and research questions in cutting-edge technology; using inventiveness, creativity and technical development work of the highest quality
- specific knowledge or experience of DVB systems and associated systems engineering
- knowledge of standard and high definition video and audio formats used within a broadcast infrastructure
- knowledge of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 video compression systems, audio compression systems
- an understanding of appropriate DVB, ITU and ETSI standards
- the ability to design, evaluate and test broadcast systems adopting a systems engineering approach
A big plus would be:
- Basic software engineering skills in Java/C++ or equivalent high level language
- knowledge of IPTV systems
- knowledge of new broadcast compression systems e.g. HEVC
- a good understanding of television production and post-production techniques
- capability of working in partnerships across the broadcast industry
Please upload your original CV when applying and a response to the following:
Please describe a technology project where you researched and developed an innovative solution in order to help the project succeed.Detail your role in the project, the actions you took and how the solution achieved the desired outcome.Where applicable, please describe the actions you took to mitigate any risks and ensure timely delivery of the project.