Researcher - Doctors
With over 350 hours of in-house output a year, BBC Scripted Drama is making some of the most original, diverse and highly acclaimed television. These range from continuing drama such as Casualty, EastEnders, Holby City, and Doctors to series and serials such as Silent Witness, Luther and Our Girl, to name just a few!
You'll provide support to the Series Producer, Script Editors, Assistant Script Editor and Writers in order to identify and carry out research activities on any subject matter suggested by the story lines, ideas and scripts. You will also be required to generate suitable alternative ideas where research indicates that original ideas are not viable/appropriate.
You will also:
- Suggest, develop and research appropriate ideas and present these to the Series Producer for feedback and review
- Research accurately when producing original content in keeping with editorial brief, using a wide range of sources and reference material in keeping with audience needs and expectations & adhering to known BBC policies & guidelines
- Liaise with contributors, experts and talent, where required.
Are you the right candidate?
To be successful in this role, you must be able to demonstrate:
- Practical Experience as a researcher for television, radio or online production
- A broadly based knowledge and a familiarity with conventional and specialised sources of information and research techniques
- The ability to interpret editorial intentions and to contribute to the generation of ideas and the resolution of script problems
- An understanding of script writers and the script writing process.
- Experience of establishing and maintaining office and administration systems along with familiarity with office and information technology.
- The ability to communicate information effectively to a wide range of production and non-production personnel, internal and external to the BBC as well as the ability to handle confidential and/or controversial information with tact and sensitivity
- An up to date knowledge of the BBC's diverse audiences and their needs and expectations and use this to shape creative and engagement output.
- An informed interest in Scripted Drama, including Doctors
6 month fixed term contract (ideally to start or be available for handover w/c 17/12/2018)
Interviews to take place: TUESDAY, 27 NOVEMBER 2018
*If selected for interview you will be sent a Scene by Scene document which you will be required to make notes on.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from all individuals. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here