Researcher - Nairobi
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Business daily and weekly TV programme and innovative digital content alongside other African content.
We are looking for a Researcher who will support this expansion by gathering information and updates, as well as selecting stories which will provide unique insights to users.
- To feed into the Business agenda, identifying new ways to deliver content relevant to all Africa users
- To monitor online, TV, radio, newspapers and social media across Africa, and produce tip-offs, news updates, media reviews and background information on relevant stories in the Business world
- To maintain an up-to-date database of contacts, organisations and source information from the target area, using the best technology for gathering and organising information
- Play a role in the planning and strategic development of research as appropriate
- Contribute to story ideas and new angles on emerging narratives and long-running stories, including from a data perspective
- Actively seek feedback from our users on our research offering; work with the Senior Broadcast Journalist/Editorial Lead and the rest of the team to interpret this and respond in a timely manner
- To collaborate with journalists on creating engaging and innovative products
Please view the full Job Description for more details.
Are you the right candidate?
An excellent level of spoken and written English is essential for this role. Swahili or another African language is also desirable. You will have an understanding of the relevant user groups and target markets with the ability to understand and identify the needs of business audiences, in particular, an excellent understanding of what audiences are looking for in digital and social media content.Expertise in the collection, processing, analysis and visualisation of data (possibly including basic programming skills) is required as well as a passion for African business.
Contract: Continuing - Full time
Local terms and conditions apply
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Please note - Interviews for this position will be held on Thursday 25th July 2019.
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Nairobi.
About the BBC
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here