Our Global Operations teams make sure our content gets to where it needs to be, on time, and on budget, whether that’s on a channel in Asia or a digital platform in the US. They are at the logistical centre of the business, and maintain great relationships with Sales and Content to make sure that the entire supply chain of content runs smoothly.
The Rights Team is looking for a Rights Assistant to join the team on a fixed term contract until June 2018. The team manage acquisition (rights in) and rights restrictions data across the BBC Worldwide portfolio.
The Rights Assistant is responsible for interpreting and managing acquisitions and restrictions data on the Media Maestro rights management system, to meet business requirements. They are also responsible for servicing rights and cost checks for Sales and other teams to ensure titles are marketed / sold in the knowledge of an accurate rights position.
- Interprets rights and restrictions information from distribution agreements and associated talent contracts / systems, and enters data in Media Maestro to ensure information is accurately defined/set-up to support end-to-end processes, and made available to Sales in a timely fashion.
- Monitors and updates contracts in Media Maestro with delivery dates to ensure rights expiries are accurately represented, and restrictions; internal and external approvals; catalogue management to prevent BBCW commercial activity resulting in legal or reputational harm.
- Provides a contributor rights restrictions cost checking service for sales teams, in response to availability queries being run in Maestro.
- Provides headline rights availability for marketing materials, events and special projects.
- Proactively manages the BBCW portfolio of rights by identifying expiring acquisitions and restrictions impacting exploitation; producing reports and supporting information for the Rights Executive to distribute to impacted business areas.
- Provides an ongoing ‘cleanse on demand’ of rights and restrictions data from legacy systems/sources into Media Maestro.
- With the Rights Executive, builds and maintains relationships with all rights stakeholders in the Business to ensure rights data is best in class.
Are you the right candidate?
Knowledge & Skills
- Experience of working effectively as part of a team, to achieve a common goal essential.
- Data management experience is essential; preferably in a media and/or content environment.
- Knowledge of BBC Worldwide acquisition processes is an advantage.
- Understanding of programme and contributor intellectual property rights is an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills – both verbal and written - are essential.
- Understanding of media and new technologies is an advantage.
- Proficiency in Microsoft packages including Word, Excel, and Access databases is essential. Knowledge of internal and external rights systems and sources of information is an advantage. The ability to easily pick up new IT systems is also essential.
About the BBC
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in; commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world. In 2016/17, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £157.3M (2015/16: £133.8M), and headline sales of £1,059.9M (2015/16: £1,029.4M) and returned £210.5M to the BBC.
The UK region delivers nearly a third of BBCW’s revenues, across a broad range of sectors, including Channels, TV Distribution, Consumer Products, Live Events, Publishing and e-Commerce.
Comprised predominantly of the non-English speaking world, our Global Markets business encompasses Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (CEMA) and Asia. Business activities range from TV sales and channel operation to production and intellectual property exploitation.