Gardeners' World, part of Factual Entertainment and Events located in Bristol, is looking for two Runners to join the production. We have a big talented team of around 30 and make a topical weekly programme for BBC2.
The Runner role provides support to production/department teams in the office and on location by performing a number of production related supportive tasks and activities.
Within a Production office environment duties will typically include:
- Acting as a point of contact for a range of both internal and external stakeholders, ensuring that these are given a positive image of the BBC and the department.
- Duties may also involve filing/distributing paperwork, data entry, arranging meals, and transportation for artists/crew etc.
- Booking kit and card management for upcoming shoots
On-set / on-location duties will typically include:
- Acting as a courier, helping to ensure correct facilities are available and distributing call sheets, Health and Safety notices, and other paperwork.
- Assisting with members of the public, contributors and On-Screen Talent.
- Assisting camera crew and production team with delivering and moving kit around a fixed location, managing catering and driving equipment to and from base in Bristol.
The Ideal Candidate
- Previous experience of working on location and events.
- Experience working with High Profile Talent.
- Confident driver.
- Interest in cameras and gardening an advantage but not a necessity.
- Knowledge or the ability to acquire it, of BBC Structures, Procedures and Policies.
- Passion for broadcasting and the media.
- Ability to use IT proficiently, including a range of software packages.
- A demonstrable aptitude for detail and accuracy in all areas.
- Interpersonal and communication skills sufficient to establish and maintain effective relations with a wide range of internal and external contacts.
- Effective time management and organisational skills and the initiative to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to prioritise a conflicting workload efficiently and to maintain standards of accuracy and attention to detail when working to deadlines or changing priorities.
- Resilience and stamina to sustain performance when under pressure from a high volume of work and conflicting priorities, with a flexible approach to deal with a changing environment.
- Ability to use own initiative with confidence, using judgement to escalate where necessary.
- Contribute to the creative vision of the team.
- An up to date knowledge of the BBC's diverse audiences and their needs and expectations and use this to contribute to creative and engaging output.
- The ability to problem solve and suggest effective solutions.
- Awareness of financial responsibility, as may be required to keep track of petty cash and receipt recordkeeping.
The successful applicants will need to be available from mid-February and Mid-March, or earlier. Please only apply if available.
For BBC car insurance purposes a full drivers licence (for at least a year) is essential and you must be a confident driver.
Although we are currently partially home working, there will be times when the Runner will need to be in the office to assist the team in sending out camera kit and managing the recording cards – sending them out to crews and dropping off/picking up rushes to and from the Post House and the office in Bristol. Please only apply if you can regularly travel to the Bristol office.
Contract type: Fixed-term full-time contracts.
Location: Bristol and remote working.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here