SAP ABAP Developer (Principal Systems Engineer) Fixed Term (D)
Our aim is simple - to enrich people's lives with programmes and services that inform, educate and entertain by being the most creative organisation in the world. But we don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it.
Working here means you’ll be part of something genuinely special. We’re different from other broadcasters. We’re funded by the licence fee and guided by a unique set of principles and values. People know us and are passionate about what we do. You’ll also be involved in things that are enjoyed by millions.
Almost everyone in the UK spends time with our content each week and it feels great to be part of something that reaches so many people.
BBC Design & Engineering provides the foundations for broadcasting - we keep the BBC’s services on-air 24 hours a day, seven days a week. That means everything from transmission for TV and radio - enabling us to reach 97% of adults in the UK every week including the cameras, mixing desks, email and business systems for our world-class programme makers and staff.
It is this technology that connects our colleagues and our viewers to our content. To support the BBC, now and in the future, our priorities are to make sure we’re flexible, efficient and can take advantage of all the digital developments happening in broadcasting.
Our objectives are to:
- Deliver agreed portfolio priorities to plan
- Delivery on our major projects
- Be a strategic partner with the rest of the BBC
- Make real the Engineering Operating model
- Build the capability we need to deliver the Engineering Vision
This role sits within Business Systems in BBC Engineering which sets the technology strategy and delivers and supports solutions to optimise running of all the BBC’s business critical functions including HR, Finance, Procurement, Legal and Workplace.
The ABAP Developer will report operationally to the Manager, Systems Engineering and will be responsible for writing/maintaining bespoke reports, programs and/or applications
The ABAP Developer will play a key role in advising users and satisfying their requirements relating to bespoke coding aspects. A key focus of the role will be to manage business demand and work proactively with the business to maximise the value to the business for any coding requirements.
This is a business support role. Its scope is:
· Systems complexity: The systems landscape will contain applications typically involving multiple business and technical dependencies, business critical systems and processes and commercially sensitive environments
· Stakeholder management: First point of contact for a variety of stakeholders.
· 3rd Party Relationships: Supporting 3rd party partners and suppliers supporting delivering application services and projects typically to the value of 100K.
· Information & Security management: Ensure that all the requirements of statutory and BBC safety regulations are fully met including adherence to the BBC’s policies.
· Recruitment: Support recruitment process for the team by taking part in selection boards and making selection decisions for engagement of new colleagues including specialist contractors.
· Project Support – Provide SME input into projects relating to Finance systems and support implementations and transitions into BAU
- Support ABAP code for ECC, SRM , PI, Portal, UI5 in line with the approved development plans, change requests and the operational requirements
- Keep system and support documentation up to date.
- Provide advice to users on the ABAP coding requirements and changes
- Ensure compliance at all times with BBC quality standards and policies.
- Provide services in accordance with the ITIL Framework.
- Work alongside Team Management and Application Leads to develop and operate effective working relationships with key stakeholders in Finance, Procurement, and Engineering teams, third party suppliers, users and super-user groups.
Are you the right candidate?
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills & Competencies:
- Extensive experience of SAP ABAP programming language including writing bespoke reports, programs and/or applications;
- Experience in testing, performance tuning, and debugging SAP applications;
- Experience in SAPUI5 and SAP Portal
- Experience of delivering solutions for projects and change requests
- Excellent communication and influencing skills
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a team to ensure the business requirements are transformed into quality solutions;
- Experience of working to deadlines
- Strong capability in working with end users and translating their business aspirations into very tangible solutions.
- Previous experience in Finance or Procurement is advantageous.
- A strong understanding of Data Protection legislation and how it impacts access controls.
- Experience of delivering services within an ITIL environment.
- Excellent customer skills especially with respect to verbal communications which are clear and understandable to users with relatively less technical
- Information Technology degree, or equivalent professional qualification / experience
- Certifications in ABAP, including SAP certification is desirable
- ITIL qualified - ITIL Foundation minimum is desirable
- IT Professional certifications aligned to the role as identified within the Job Description
Based London W12 (Flexible to location)
Salary Band D
Fixed Term -12 Months
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and responsibilities, and to work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house training Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a comprehensive salary package, a flexible 20-35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
We encourage flexible working, although it may not be possible for every role. There is no obligation to raise flexible working or part time requests at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to.
Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
Flexible and part-time options available'
We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible working week for work-life balance and offer a range of flexible working options.