SAP BI Lead (Manager - Systems Engineering) – 12 months Maternity Cover (E)
Our aim is simple - to enrich people's lives with programmes and services that inform, educate and entertain by being the most creative organisation in the world. But we don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it.
Working here means you’ll be part of something genuinely special. We’re different from other broadcasters. We’re funded by the licence fee and guided by a unique set of principles and values. People know us and are passionate about what we do. You’ll also be involved in things that are enjoyed by millions.
Almost everyone in the UK spends time with our content each week and it feels great to be part of something that reaches so many people.
BBC Design & Engineering provides the foundations for broadcasting - we keep the BBC’s services on-air 24 hours a day, seven days a week. That means everything from transmission for TV and radio - enabling us to reach 97% of adults in the UK every week including the cameras, mixing desks, email and business systems for our world-class programme makers and staff.
It is this technology that connects our colleagues and our viewers to our content. To support the BBC, now and in the future, our priorities are to make sure we’re flexible, efficient and can take advantage of all the digital developments happening in broadcasting.
Our objectives are to:
• Deliver agreed portfolio priorities to plan
• Delivery on our major projects
• Be a strategic partner with the rest of the BBC
• Make real the Engineering Operating model
• Build the capability we need to deliver the Engineering Vision
This role sits within Business Systems in BBC Engineering which sets the technology strategy and delivers and supports solutions to optimise running of all the BBC’s business critical functions including HR, Finance, Procurement, Legal and Workplace.
The purpose of this role is to ensure that the overall performance of SAP BI applications meets business requirements. The role will provide detailed system expertise, technical support and knowledge to both service delivery and business change functions ensuring dependencies and relationships between all associated systems are understood, maintained and can be communicated effectively to relevant stakeholders.
This is a business support role. Its scope is:
- Systems complexity: The systems landscape will contain applications typically involving multiple business and technical dependencies, business critical systems and processes and commercially sensitive environments
- Stakeholder management: First point of contact for a variety of stakeholders.
- 3rd Party Relationships: Supporting 3rd party partners and suppliers supporting delivering application services and projects typically to the value of 100K.
- Information & Security management: Ensure that all the requirements of statutory and BBC safety regulations are fully met including adherence to the BBC’s policies.
- Recruitment: Support recruitment process for the team by taking part in selection boards and making selection decisions for engagement of new colleagues including specialist contractors.
- Project Support – Provide SME input into projects relating to BI systems and support implementations and transitions into BAU
Systems Management - Be the BI Team lead for BI relates systems i.e. BO, BODS & BW
Lead on requirements gathering with the business process owners and stakeholders, analyse and present solution options that align with BBC Engineering strategies.
Work with the Systems Owner to ensure system performance (KPI’s) are continuously improved, inputting into the systems roadmap, identifying risks and providing risk mitigations.
System Architecture: Responsible for ensuring systems design and architecture is fit for purpose, including disaster recovery architecture.
Project Engagement - Responsible for providing technical consultancy to project delivery and development teams, procurement, service design and change management teams
Responsible for providing technical expertise to project teams throughout the lifecycle of a project
Working with project & service delivery teams responsible for the commissioning and acceptance ensuring new installations/services are fit for purpose, supportable, and are built against agreed specification and installation standards
Change, Configuration and release management - Responsible for minor/major software and hardware upgrades, ensuring that change management procedures are followed working alongside the teams responsible for UAT, testing and deployment of upgrades into the production environment.
Incident Management - Responsible for the resolution of escalated incidents from frontline support teams and assisting with the command & control for major incident and service outages.
Problem Management - Responsible for Problem Management for systems assigned, ensuring that known issues and workarounds are documented and input into a Known Error Database.
Non Functional Requirements - Responsible for ensuring systems align with BBC’s non-functional requirements including accessibility, performance, disaster recovery and security.
Ensure all work is conducted in accordance with current safety legislation and BBC safety policies, security policies and statutory requirements relevant to the task.
Knowledge Management - Responsible for the production of technical documentation, ensuring quality and accuracy
Responsible for assessing and inputting into the design and delivery of training for systems under ownership ensuring support teams can be appropriately trained
3rd Party Suppliers - Responsible for building effective relationships with system vendors to ensure that reported incidents and problems are resolved within agreed resolution times set in service contracts
Are you the right candidate?
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills & Competencies:
- Detailed Knowledge of SAP BI including:
- BO – Business Objects
- BW – Business Warehouse
- BODS – Business Objects Data Services
- Detailed Integration Knowledge with SAP SD/ HR/MM/SRM/Finance/BPC
- Strong BI Design and Developer Qualifications
- Knowledge of BW 7.5 on Hana, 7.3/7.02, Business Objects 4.2, Lumira2.2, Analysis for Office 2.8, Sap Analytics Cloud (SAC), Webi 4.2, Xcelcius, Crystal, SAP BW Query Designer, ABAP for BW
- Previous experience as a Team Leader within a Business Intelligence environment
- Very strong analytical skills with a particular emphasis on understanding and transforming large volumes of complex data into valuable business information
- Experience in managing a complex technical systems/environment
- Experienced in managing conflicting demands in situations of pressure where priorities are rapidly changing
- Experience of having to communicate clearly with a range of people at different levels of the organisation and explain and discuss technical issues using a range of styles, tools and techniques
- Authoritative knowledge of security policies and statutory requirements relevant to the role
- Experience in working with 3rd party suppliers
- Experience of providing a high quality service in a demanding customer service environment
- Information Technology degree, or equivalent professional qualification / experience
- Experience of working with BPC, Finance, HR
- SAP Business Intelligence upgrade strategy
- Knowledge of ITIL standards and the principles of service support and delivery
- Knowledge of change and configuration management procedures.
- Experience of designing and delivering training.
- Understanding of a complex global SAP landscape
- Experience of implementing SAP BI end to end solutions
- Knowledge and experience of BI /SAP best practices
- Knowledge of SAP security and authorisations.
- Solution orientated and problem solving.
- Significant experience within the SAP BI environment covering multiple implementations, projects or support instances in a Lead role
- Ability to mentor more junior system specialists
- Experience of relationship management
- Experience of technology projects including business change deliverables
- Substantial experience gained in a technology environment
- Worked on the full project lifecycle
- Experience in the media sector or broadcast environment
Based London W12 (Flexible to location)
Salary Band E
Fixed Term -12 Months / Maternity Cover
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and responsibilities, and to work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house training Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a comprehensive salary package, a flexible 20-35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
We encourage flexible working, although it may not be possible for every role. There is no obligation to raise flexible working or part time requests at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to.
Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
Flexible and part-time options available'
We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible working week for work-life balance and offer a range of flexible working options.