As SEO Analyst for BBC Design & Engineering’s Home team, you will play a supporting role working with the Senior SEO Analyst in determining the digital strategy for the acquisition and retention of audiences from other digital platforms, including external search, and understanding audience offsite audience behaviour and the routes audiences take into the Topics, Homepage and Participation capabilities created by the Home team, which power significant aspects of the BBC News, Sport and Programmes.
This will include driving improvements in content optimisation within search engines and analysing usage statistics that inform and shape product development strategies that drive reach and acquisition and improve the frequency and length of visit.
- Gather, analyse and report on the performance of Home products powering pan-BBC capabilities in search engines across desktop, tablet and mobile platforms, including mobile applications, in order to support product development and data-driven decision making.
- Aid the Senior SEO Analyst in creating, communicate and execute an effective Search Engine Optimisation strategy for Home that will significantly increase organic search traffic.
- Work closely with the development and editorial teams in Home and other departments on a daily basis to deliver recommendations on SEO best practice and optimise how content performs on search engines. This should include:
- Reviewing editorial practices related to optimising content.
- Aiding upskilling the digital and editorial teams in SEO techniques.
- Monitoring performance of BBC websites on search engines on a daily basis and helping to set KPIs for SEO related performance that measure:
- How content ranks in search results for searches using key search terms.
- Traffic received from search engines.
- The number of pages receiving SEO referrals.
- Identify SEO related issues and resolve any that arise as quickly as possible, including the implementation of long term measures that reduce occurrences of such issues.
- Work with the Senior SEO Analyst to devise SEO strategies for key events and campaigns and report on their success.
- Work with Product Managers to prioritise SEO related improvements, driving improvements through to completion.
- To report regularly on SEO performance, any recent SEO issues and the impact/success of improvements made.
- To keep up to date with industry trends, SEO best practices and changes to search engine technology that will impact on the SEO performance, identifying changes required to remain competitive.
- To keep up to date with competitor SEO performance and strategies, recommending changes required to remain competitive.
- Write clear specifications for developers and business analysts implementing SEO best practices, collaborating and interacting with multi-disciplined development teams and quality-assuring all new development work from an SEO perspective.
- Input into the development of a holistic pan-BBC search strategy, combining PPC and SEO.
Evaluate and make recommendations on the requirement for and use of additional technology or research tools in order to deliver this strategy.
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrable experience in SEO best practice and extensive knowledge of search engine technology.
- Experience and knowledge of user data and the ability to analyse, interpret and apply media research.
- Experience of reporting on usage of web products across desktop, tablet and mobile platforms, including mobile applications. Experience should include building dashboards that identify trends in audience behaviour and enable data-driven decision making.
- Experience of reporting on SEO performance and setting measures to define success.
- Experience of working within an agile software delivery environment and collaborating within a multi-disciplinary development team to formulate requirements.
- Experience communicating concepts and ideas to stakeholders, including oral and written presentations, proposals, specifications and reports.
- Evidence of problem solving ability and providing creative solutions.
- Experience of deadline driven environment with rapid release cycles.
- Quickly understands business issues and technical challenges on a project.
- Takes input from Product Owners and is able to work autonomously to complete the required tasks.
- Demonstrable experience of requirements documenting for various audiences - both technical & non-technical.
- Demonstrable experience of working in multiple methodologies such as Agile (particularly Scrum) and other iterative development methodologies.
- Ability to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts and be able to explore and evaluate them systematically.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to establish rapport, credibility and strong working relationships.
- Strong negotiation, influencing and presentation skills with the ability to communicate and persuade.
- Will work collaboratively with stakeholders and stay open to ideas/suggestions from others.
- Able to collaborate across organisational boundaries, embrace change, and make improvements to working practices.
- Understanding of relevant technologies, especially online application projects.
- Able to effectively manage expectations of stakeholders.
- Be at the forefront of emerging technologies and understand their relevance to the product, BBC and its diverse audience.
- Self-reliant. Able to manage self and others within a complex matrix environment with shared responsibilities across the BBC.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Salford or Glasgow
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here