The BBC SSR Group exists to help get programmes made for TV, Radio and On-Line: by finding safe and healthy ways to enable the creation of the distinctive and world-class content that our audiences demand; by ensuring that our people, productions and premises remain secure and on air.
We are now looking for three Safeguarding, Compliance & Governance Specialists to work alongside our Safeguarding, Compliance & Governance Manager to control Risk measures and implement our action plans. This role will act as a bridge between the central SSR function and the business, particularly for Production requirements.
- Risk control measures and action plans - Undertake site, production or location assurance visits, both announced and unannounced, as identified by SSR Manager to ensure safeguarding and child protection requirements are effectively implemented and adhered to
- Conduct assurance visits to third parties and provide post visit reports to the senior management
- Carry out DBS content reviews across the business, escalating issues as required to the SSR Manager
- Be an SME in areas of safeguarding need within the sector, including Child Performance Licensing and Chaperones, and ensure written guidance on the above is maintained and up to date
- Operationally manage the WWC group, coordinating meetings, devising agendas to ensure focus remains on current priorities, and feed into SSR Safeguarding Manager for escalation
- Provide monthly/quarterly reports on training activity for SSR Manager as provided by divisional leads, including areas for additional compliance checks to be carried out based on data
- Advise on higher level BBC Safeguarding concerns and investigations
- Provide high level child protection and safeguarding advice around protocols, projects and editorial concerns and refer queries to the appropriate people/organisation
For full remit please see the Appendix section on the attached Job Description
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for somebody who has the experience and ability to:
- Be an SME in all areas of Safeguarding need within the sector, including Child Protection, Working with Vulnerable Adults, PSEAH, Chaperones, Child Performance Licencing, displaying extensive operational experience of managing and leading serious safeguarding concerns and escalations, accompanied by the relevant Safeguarding qualifications.
- Evidence a comprehensive understanding and practical implementation of proactive assurance gathering, in an end to end audit style format designed to identify areas of risk and vulnerability, coupled with experience risk management and governance compliance in a Safeguarding field. Show proactivity and creativity when formulating plans to undertake site, production or location assurance visits to ensure Safeguarding and child protection requirements and standards are effectively implemented and adhered to.
- Display a thorough understanding of Safeguarding risk, specifically when applied to DBS certification reviews, evidencing the ability to evaluate content in order to establish and manage any associated risks posed and work closely with senior stakeholders to guide and lead, where necessary, the organisations response to acceptable risk in this area.
- Posses skills needed to deliver Safeguarding training at specialist level to all areas of the business, whether for individuals, groups or senior stakeholders at Exco level. An ability to guide and influence senior leaders through Safeguarding awareness and be point of contact for editorial safeguarding concerns is vital to ensure buy in in this critical area of the organisation.
- Confidently lead and advise on serious Safeguarding concerns from all areas of the business, collaborating with the Specialist Case Management Framework and external agencies and regulators as required to ensure robust and thorough recording and progression of all safeguarding matters within the BBC whilst being the point of contact and escalation for the Working With Children group, coordinating meetings, providing training and devising forthcoming agendas to ensure divisional safeguarding focus remains consistent and in line with Safeguarding and wider SSR priorities.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here