Script Editor (EastEnders)
With over 350 hours of in-house output a year, BBC Drama Production is making some of the most original, diverse and highly acclaimed television. These range from continuing drama such as Casualty, EastEnders, Holby City, and Doctors to series and serials such as Silent Witness, Luther and Musketeers, to name just a few!
EastEnders is the multi award winning soap broadcast four times a week on BBC ONE. It currently ranks as one of the most watched TV dramas in the UK tackling many controversial and taboo issues previously unseen on television in the UK. Through great writing and attention to detail the show manages to successfully balance gritty realism with high drama and entertainment to keep its millions of dedicated viewers coming back for more, on-screen and on-line, every week.
As our Script Editor, you’ll be advising on all script related matters as well as be responsible for managing the relationships between writers and the production staff.
Main duties will involve:
- Reporting to the Script Producer you’ll work as part of a team overseeing episodes from idea stage to delivery to the production crew and through to shoot.
- You will represent the interests of the writer to the production team and ensure that the author consents to major script changes and to convey the writers point of view in his/her absence.
- Generating creative ideas as well as long term story ideas, you’ll work with the production teams representing the writers’ interests, ensuring their consent to script changes as well as ensuring the scripts are editorially correct, carrying out the necessary checks.
- In addition you’ll attend the monthly Commissioning meetings offering and suggesting critical and creative suggestions about your week’s episodes.
- You’ll be responsible for providing writers with the editorial brief needed and ensure they have access to any technical expert or consultant as required.
- You’ll be restructuring and generating new storylines within your script as well as turning around creative drafts in short spaces of time.
- You'll refer to the Script Producer to resolve doubts or competing views that may arise in relation to the script at any time.
- You'll co-ordinate and communicate all script changes to those concerned.
- During preparation of the script, you will ensure that all required negative checks (e.g. brand names) and legal checks have been carried out - or raised - and to ensure that all reasonable action has been taken to avoid copyright infringement, libel and defamation.
- Where a technical expert of consultant has been engaged, to be responsible for ensuring that this expertise is made available to the writer, and that scripts are submitted to the consultant at the appropriate time. To obtain re-writes from the writer following advice from the consultant.
- To raise any and all Editorial Policy concerns with the Script Producer and ensure all advice is incorporated into scripts.
- To monitor filming of episodes and be on-hand to discuss any dialogue or story concerns as and when they arise.
Are you the right candidate?
People working on EastEnders are a talented, experienced and creative bunch. To join them and make this programme the most talked about on the channel, it’s really important you have the necessary skills we’re looking for.
- You should demonstrate prior experience of script editing ideally on a TV drama series.
- You should have significant experience in generating creative ideas and treatments and experience of working with new and experienced writers under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- You should also have strong communication, negotiation, influencing and persuading skills and the ability to work within a team and on your own initiative.
- It is important that you have an understanding of the copyright law, Writers Guild agreements, contracts and the legal implications for production processes.
- You should have an awareness of the financial consequences of editorial decisions.
- You should have a thorough knowledge of script sources and the availability and potential of emerging talent.
- And enthusiasm and interest in BBC Drama Production, especially EastEnders.
A generic job description is attached, please see Appendix for additional duties and responsibilities associated with this role.
This role is a BAND C.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC