Are you an experienced Script Editor? Passionate about Drama? Ready for the opportunity to progress your career? Then this is the role for you!
It's an exciting time to be part of our team with all of our award-winning Continuing Dramas that brings audiences together week after week. From EastEnders, Doctors, Holby City and Casualty to River City and Pobol y Cwm, our programmes remain a constant source of gripping entertainment, featuring cliff-hanger storylines and much-loved characters with whom our viewers have grown up.
EastEnders is the multi award winning soap broadcast four times a week on BBC ONE. It currently ranks as one of the most watched TV dramas in the UK tackling many controversial and taboo issues previously unseen on television in the UK. Through great writing and attention to detail the show manages to successfully balance gritty realism with high drama and entertainment to keep its millions of dedicated viewers coming back for more, on-screen and on-line, every week.
The EastEnders Editorial Team are at the heart of the drama offscreen! They work extremely hard in a busy environment to help bring the scripts to life. You will have the opportunity to learn and develop within an experienced Drama Editorial Office.
The Script Editor reports to the Script Producer and works as part of a team overseeing episodes from idea, delivery and through to shoot. As the Script Editor, you will be required to advise on all script related matters as well as be responsible for managing the relationships between writers and the production staff.
The successful candidate will be required to represent the interests of the writer to the production team and ensure that the author consents to major script changes whilst conveying the writers interests and point of view in his/her absence, whilst ensuring that they have the editorial brief and access to any technical or consultant expertise that they require.
You will be required to generate creative solutions as well as long term story ideas, whilst carrying out all the necessary checks and ensure that all scripts are editorially correct, raising and resolving any Editorial Policy concerns, doubts or competing views with the Script Producer and ensure all advice is incorporated into scripts.
During preparation of the script, you will carry out all negative (e.g brand names) and legal checks ensuring that all reasonable action is taken to avoid copyright infringement, libel and defamation issues. You will also be required to monito filming of episodes and be on-hand to discuss any dialogue or story concerns as and when they arise.
In addition you’ll attend the monthly Commissioning meetings offering and suggesting critical and creative suggestions about your week’s episodes.
Are you the right candidate?
People working on EastEnders are a talented, experienced and creative bunch. To join them and make this programme the most talked about on the channel, it’s really important you have the necessary skills we’re looking for -
- You should demonstrate prior experience of Script Editing ideally on a TV drama series
- You should have significant experience in generating creative ideas and treatments and experience of working with new and experienced writers under pressure and to tight deadlines
- You should also have strong communication, negotiation, influencing and persuading skills and the ability to work within a team and on your own initiative
- It is important that you have an understanding of the copyright law, Writers Guild agreements, contracts and the legal implications for production processes
- You should have an awareness of the financial consequences of editorial decisions
- You should have a thorough knowledge of script sources and the availability and potential of emerging talent
- And enthusiasm and interest in BBC Drama Production, especially EastEnders
Contract: 12 Month FTC / Attachment
**Please note that this is a standard Studios Production contract and potentially can involve up to 55 hours per week **
We are really proud to share that we are a Level 2 Disability Confident Employer and so if you require any reasonable adjustments in order to apply please do contact us on email@example.com with ref: BBC/TP/224227/61679 in the subject.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here