Script Editor, Holby City
With over 350 hours of in-house output a year, BBC Scripted is making some of the most original, diverse and highly acclaimed television. These range from continuing drama such as Holby City, Casualty, EastEnders and Doctors, to series and serials such as Silent Witness, Luther and Our Girl to name just a few.
As Script Editor you will ensure commissioned scripts are delivered to a standard and conform to the editorial brief by turning drafts around quickly and creatively to ensure all the deadlines are met.
You will advise on all script related matters associated with the production and manage the relationship between the writer and the production.
You will be expected to co-ordinate and communicate all script changes to those concerned and where necessary, restructure and generate new storylines within your scripts, ensuring scripts are prepared in the appropriate format.
In addition, you will ensure the consistent treatment of established characters and continuity with the story line and episodes.
Are you the right candidate?
It is really important you have the necessary skills we are looking for.
1. You should demonstrate prior experience of script editing ideally on a continuing drama series.
2. You should have a knowledge of new writers/new talent from diverse backgrounds.
3. It is important that you have an understanding of the copyright law, Writers Guild agreements, contracts and the legal implications for production processes.
4. You should have an awareness of the financial consequences of editorial decisions.
5. You should have a thorough knowledge of script sources and the availability and potential of emerging talent.
6. A passion for Holby City and an interest in BBC Scripted Drama
7. You should have significant experience in generating creative ideas and treatments and experience of working with new and experienced writers under pressure and to tight deadlines.
8. You should also have strong communication, negotiation, influencing and persuading skills and the ability to work within a team and on your own initiative.
1 x Fixed Term Contract (22 months)
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.