Script Secretary, EastEnders.
With over 350 hours of in-house output a year, BBC Drama Production is making some of the most original, diverse and highly acclaimed television. These range from continuing drama such as Casualty, EastEnders, Holby City, and Doctors to series and serials such as Silent Witness, Luther and Our Girl, to name just a few!
EastEnders is the multi award winning soap broadcast four times a week on BBC ONE. It currently ranks as one of the most watched TV dramas in the UK tackling many controversial and taboo issues previously unseen on television in the UK. Through great writing and attention to detail the show manages to successfully balance gritty realism with high drama and entertainment to keep its millions of dedicated viewers coming back for more, on-screen and on-line, every week.
This is a junior/training role where the postholder will report to the Series Script Producer, EastEnders but will be line managed by the Line Producer, EastEnders.
The postholder will be solely responsible for the following duties:
- To learn from and assist the Series Script Supervisor in a variety of duties which include:
- The compilation and distribution of script amendments working to multiple Script Editors at any given time.
- To pick up any outstanding duties of the block specific to the Script Supervisor in week two and onwards of the shoot. This will include creating camera scripts, camera cards and issuing additional script amendments.
- To type up a Director's camera script into Adobe Story (and it's replacement) working to a tight deadline.
- To take responsibility for compiling camera scripts and camera cards for pick up days.
- To train and offer regular support to Script Supervisors using the EastEnders script software Adobe Story and it's replacement.
- To assist the Post-Production Co-Ordinator with post-production paperwork using Silvermouse.
- To maintain a comprehensive filing system, including regularly updating key documents, to ensure quick retrieval of information.
- To provide support as necessary to other members of the Production, reporting conflicting priorities when necessary to the Series Script Supervisor.
- To take primary responsibility for maintaining the Production Office, liaising with the technology service desk, facilities and team assistants where required.
- To undertake any training necessary to update relevant skills and knowledge.
Are you the right candidate?
People working on EastEnders are a talented, experienced and creative bunch. To join them and make this programme the most talked about on the channel, it’s really important you have the necessary skills we’re looking for. You should have:
- An informed interest in television drama production, with a demonstrable passion for EastEnders.
- Knowledge of the secretarial and administrative support required in television production.
- Proven experience working in a demanding office environment.
- Proficient in using a variety of IT software, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat. Ideally a minimum typing speed of 50wpm.
- Experience of establishing and maintaining office, filing and administration systems, and the ability to communicate information effectively to a wide range of production and non production personnel, internal and external to the BBC.
- Experience of handling confidential and commercially sensitive information with tact and sensitivity.
- Sound command of English and the ability to format the layout of paperwork appropriately.
Contract type: 1 year fixed term contract/attachment.
Location: BBC Elstree.
**Please note that this is a standard Studios Production contract and potentially can involve up to 55 hours per week **
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
Please note that the attachment is a generic job description for a Script Co-Ordinator. However, this advert is for a Script Secretary, EastEnders and requirements and duties specific to this role can be found below.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here