BBC Sport is at the heart of the BBC’s Online strategy. Our website is the UK’s biggest and best-loved Sport site, drawing together world class journalism and live coverage of big events that bring the nation together.
Our team has just delivered the most successful World Cup for the BBC, making it more participatory and reaching even greater numbers of people across web, mobile and connected devices.
But it’s not all about Sport in our team, we also design and build platforms for Live events from Glastonbury to General Elections.
We work in small and collaborative agile teams of developers, designers, editorial, product and delivery people. We build products and services that people love to use and that transform how users enjoy Sport and Live events.
You can read more about our team and what we do on our blog
We are now tasked with building on our World Cup ambitions and delivering a new vision for online content that reinvents free-to-air-sport for the digital age. Developing our Live coverage and Sports data offerings, and ensuring our 24/7 Sports news service remains the go-to source for millions of users.
The key challenge for our agile delivery professionals within Sport is delivering high quality products and services to the fixed dates of large sporting calendars and national events. It is an exciting environment to work in and one that is both challenging and massively rewarding.
Come and join our world class team and help us make free-to-air Sport and Live coverage even better for our users.
Our Senior Agile Project Managers (Delivery Managers) deliver complex products and services via one or more multidisciplinary, highly skilled teams.
You will be core to decisions that build high performing teams, where people are excited about the work they are undertaking.
You will help build the delivery capability within Sport and Live by role modeling, demonstrating and sharing your knowledge of agile delivery practices.
You’ll be adept at breaking down barriers for your team or teams and both planning at a higher level and getting into the detail to make things happen when needed.
You will do this by:
- Creating great agile working environments
- Identifying the appropriate people and resources for your team or teams
- Making sure your teams understand their mission, vision and goals, and that these align across the organisation
- Planning, communicating and visualising progress towards these goals
- Managing and addressing risks, issues and dependencies
- Engaging with key stakeholders on delivery progress and challenges
- Continually improving delivery methods and approaches to team working
- Encouraging the teams to be self-organising
- Actively participating in the wider agile project management family at the BBC, learning, sharing and applying skills and knowledge to improve
The Ideal Candidate
Our delivery professionals work on a diverse range of projects, products and services within BBC Sport. We’re looking for people with strong interpersonal skills who enjoy working in a demanding, high profile agile environment. We’re looking for people who are passionate about agile working, who care about technology and who know how to make projects succeed. And we want people who believe that how you work is as important as what you deliver.
You will be bright, empathetic, persuasive and perseverant.
You will have:
- Significant track record of successfully delivering complex digital projects and products
- Deep understanding of agile and lean methodologies and how they help deliver products and services
- Deep understanding of the digital landscape
- Experience in matrix-managing multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience in promoting agile practices across an organisation
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.