Senior Android Software Engineer (sounds)
BBC iPlayer is at the forefront of the BBC's Digital strategy, serving 15.7 million browsers per week — with recent commitment to increase investment in iPlayer and mobile. The BBC iPlayer mobile apps have been downloaded over 40 million times and serve over 7 million browsers each week.
We are looking for talented engineers who have a passion for mobile, a strong understanding of object-oriented programming, architecture, and test-driven development to join us in making iPlayer the number one online TV service in the UK.
We are a highly collaborative team of engineers, testers, UX designers and product owners. We value our engineers, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as '10% time’ - allowing dedicated time for self-improvement, learning and innovation. We take the time to reflect and improve on how we’re working through team retrospectives and mentoring. We’re a hard-working team who are supportive, care about each other, and promote a healthy work-life balance with opportunities for flexible working hours and a friendly working environment.
As a Software Engineer you will contribute the development of features, fix bugs and issues, review code from others in the team and make a key contribution to the entire development lifecycle, from conception and discovery through development and delivery.
Everybody on the team has a say in how we work, so you need to be able to work with others across disciplines - collaborating with UX designers, API engineers, testers and product owners so that together we can make everything we do the best it can possibly be. You’ll help create team goals and objectives, contribute feature ideas and discuss the future direction of the product, and give input in retrospectives on how we’re performing as a team and what we can do to improve. Even this job description was written collaboratively, using feedback and suggestions from everyone on the team.
We collaboratively build the iPlayer app for the long term and that has driven us to care deeply about code quality, architecture and a test first approach. We work in both Java and Kotlin, with all new features written in Kotlin. You'll be happy to discuss technical details with the rest of the engineering team, contributing to discussions and communicating your own ideas.
You’ll also have opportunities to grow and specialise. We want you to be passionate about the future of technology in broadcasting, and the impact you can have. You’ll need a desire to keep learning and growing, with support from cross-team groups, meet-ups and chapters focussed on topics such as Android and iOS development, accessibility, security, development practices, continuous delivery and many other areas of interest.
Are you the right candidate?
You may have experience of some, but not necessarily all, of the following:
- Real-world Android development experience or a passion to apply your existing engineering skills in a mobile environment
- Real-world experience with Java and/or Kotlin in mobile apps development, or a passion to learn
- A good understanding of Object Oriented Programming
- Understanding of design patterns such as MVVM, MVP, VIPER
- Demonstrable understanding of Test-Driven Development
- Experience of source control systems such as Git
- A track record of producing maintainable code within collaborative environments
- Ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and to work with new technologies
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience with Android development projects
- Experience with Continuous Integration/Deployment in mobile apps
- Web services integration (REST, JSON) in a mobile environment
- Experience with Agile/Scrum/Kanban project management methodologies
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here