We offer a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful activities for talented people. We are a team building the future of the BBC, while delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people around the world every day.
As well as being the backbone of iPlayer and News, Sports and Children's services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keep the BBC up-to-date and responsible for the largest British-owned digital service in the world. In D + E, you will be working on different challenges, collaborating with the best creative minds in the UK and one of the world’s leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios). We give hard work but also time to think and do things right. We value diversity and inclusion everywhere on the BBC and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply for this role and tell us why they believe they will be a good part of the BBC.
Commercial Digital are a multi-function delivery team focused on delivery of world class direct-to-consumer and business-to-business solutions for BBC Studios, the commercial arm of the BBC.
Our products include a number of marquee brands including Britbox, the fastest growing subscription video-on-demand service in the US, and Top Gear, as well as a number of market leading B2B products.
This role provides the opportunity to be part of an exciting and entrepreneurial internationally focused team that values creativity and proactive problem-solving.
As Senior Architect within the team, you will help to define and build products that run at scale and have a global reach.
We are looking for someone who wants to have an impact on how our products move forward with technology. Your primary, initial focus will be taking a hands-on approach to helping shape and deliver a proposed, ground-breaking global D2C offering, working with multiple teams and technologies – internally and externally – across the globe.
You will join a team where everyone - including you – strives to better understand our customers and improve our products on a daily basis.
We are a small agile team delivering big change. We work in a fast-paced environment more akin to a start-up.
As a team we are adaptable, supportive, highly business focused and continually looking to improve.
- Strong communication skills with product managers, business analysts, software engineers and business stakeholders
- Familiar with Agile working practices
- Considerable Software engineering experience
- Significant experience in software design patterns and cloud-based solutions
Experience in the following areas
- Mobile application development (iOS, Android)
- Experience/Familiarity with TV application development (Roku, tvOS, Samsung, LG etc)
- Integration and data exchange technologies and best practices
- SVOD client familiarity
- Providing technical expertise and oversight on new and existing solutions
- Overseeing 3rd party application development and integrations
- Key member of collaborative design sessions with developers, vendors and stakeholders
- Ensuring best practice is followed
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Flexible (London, Cardiff, Salford or Glasgow)
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here