Senior Architect - Mobile Apps
BBC iPlayer & BBC Sounds are core to moving the BBC to an IP distributed world. They are fundamental to delivering the best watch and listen experiences to our UK audience.
The aim of this architect role is to enable our engineering teams in creating world class iPlayer and Sounds native applications for mobile and tablet devices. You will work with the wider BBC and external companies to ensure scalable and maintainable solutions are delivered aligned to our overall technical strategy, whilst growing the capabilities of our teams by coaching and mentoring staff.
Reporting to the Lead Architect in iPlayer and Sounds, you will work with other Architects, Engineering Team Leads and Principal Engineers to achieve the key responsibilities listed below.
- To build effective relationships and work with engineering teams, product owners and any 3rd party suppliers to ensure the predictable and reliable delivery of our goals aligned with the department’s technical principles and strategy.
- To act as technical authority for major projects assessing technical proposals to ensure they meet business needs.
- To assist the engineering teams with the definition of project scope and technical approach during project inception and to assist in the definition of implementation
- To be responsible for communicating and documenting the technical architecture of our systems.
- To keep abreast of technical developments of strategic importance to iPlayer and Sounds, including the evolution of Android and iOS operating systems and API deprecations, and to participate in developing or setting standards as directed.
- To assist the departments architecture team in identifying strategic requirements and advising on cross platform roadmaps and migration plans to achieve strategic goals.
- To assist with improving the standard of technical delivery and competencies within the engineering teams through coaching and mentoring staff.
- To provide technical advice and consultancy to our management, commissioning and project teams on matters of technical architecture and infrastructure developments, including their feasibility.
Are you the right candidate?
- Extensive experience designing, developing and deploying scalable architectures and infrastructure for applications in the mobile eco-system.
- Extensive experience of working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams with a focus on delivery.
- Hands-on experience using native mobile technologies (e.g. Objective C/Swift/Java/Kotlin).
- Experience of leading a technical team, conducting system reviews, mentoring and coaching staff.
- Experience evaluating existing and emerging technologies and their potential uses to support delivery of business value.
- Experience in developing and championing technology strategies.
- Awareness of AV encoding, packaging and DRM.
Do you have these attributes?
- Strong influencing, persuading and communicating skills and the ability to lead through influence.
- Ability to devise strategic vision and to articulate that vision confidently to all audiences.
- Ability to make informed decisions based on empirical evidence
- Have the mature judgement necessary to choose the best solution to complex problems.
- Ability to communicate at all levels and translate technical jargon for non-technical staff.
- Able to work collaboratively and maintain effective relationships at all levels within an organisation.
- Self-motivated with the ability to inspire others with energy, drive and desire to achieve goals.
- Have a passion for learning and self-improvement.
Contract type: Full Time, Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here