The Online Technology Group (OTG) within BBC Design + Engineering supplies foundation technology, operational support and online distribution capabilities that power BBC Online products - including BBC iPlayer, News, Sport and Sounds. As the BBC continues its transformation to an IP-only future, the Architecture team within OTG works to optimise, scale and continually improve the BBC’s IP delivery mechanisms to our UK and global audiences, to deliver the best possible experience, whether it’s reading the latest headlines, catching up on Normal People on iPlayer, or watching the FA Cup Final live in UHD. That means working with in-house architectural, development & operational teams, commercial suppliers, research/standards groups and ISP partners to develop new approaches and solutions that help the BBC deliver its services over the Internet at a unique scale.
- Inspired by the overall Technology & Architecture strategy, develop the vision and strategy for the area(s) for which they are accountable; maintaining an awareness of the underlying business and technical strategic drivers and challenges faced by the BBC.
- Develops plans, designs and drawings that take a vision from idea to reality, incorporating the overall vision you will deliver adaptable, scalable solutions for the area of business.
- Understand the asset landscape within the allocated area and identify gaps and potential fragilities, and support the development of appropriate solutions; working with external suppliers to align requirements with solutions.
- Recognise the opportunities presented, and take the initiative in solving complex technical problems and identifying and pursuing, with support, appropriate strategies that deliver business benefit.
- Create, design and develop solutions, and coordinate efforts with engineering and product management teams, working within the allocated work area. Participate in the incubation of emerging technologies, architectures and approaches in order to test whether they will enable the BBC to deliver its objectives and seize opportunities in a timely manner. Assist with solving business challenges through innovation, striving for improved predictability, performance, efficiency, effectiveness and elasticity.
- Able to represent the TS&A community in planning and governance meetings.
The Ideal Candidate
- Significant experience in a development or operational context, designing and delivering IP services over the Internet at a high scale
- Detailed knowledge of fundamental Internet protocols and standards (HTTP, TLS, TCP/IP) as well as media-specific standards (HLS, DASH, DVB-DASH, CMAF)
- Significant Linux/UNIX systems engineering and troubleshooting expertise
- Experience with managing 3rd-party CDN services
- Experience with designing and managing workloads on both on-premise and public cloud infrastructures
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here