Senior Audience Research Executive (Quantitative)
The BBC’s World Service Group delivers international news output and comprises of BBC World Service, BBC World News TV, BBC Monitoring and the BBC’s international online news services. Together, these services provide a focal point for viewers and listeners around the world, attracting a combined global weekly audience of over 394m. The World Service sits within this broader division, delivering journalism on TV, radio and online across the globe in 42 languages.
We are a multi-national team of researchers, data scientists and digital analysts. The projects we work on tend to span all corners of the globe and cover multiple business challenges. We work with a broad range of agencies from around the world. However, the strength of our team is in bringing multiple disciplines together and much of the work we do is completely in-house.
We are a central team working with all parts of the business. We influence business and editorial decision making at all levels. Our work has won multiple awards over the years, including the 2019 MRS awards for Global Business Impact and International Research.
As a Senior Research Executive in the Audiences team within BBC World Service, you will be leading on a number of quantitative projects. You will play a key role in the BBCs annual global audience measurement research and developing studies designed to help us better understand audiences around the world. You will be a self-starter who is comfortable working on all stages of the research process, including planning, crafting project briefs, questionnaire design, sampling, managing agency relationships, data analysis and providing story-driven deliverables. You will contribute to a deeper understanding through projects that marry quantitative research with qualitative, digital analytics, data science and other forms of research.
The projects you will be working on will involve a range of methodologies – from face to face research in developing markets to online surveys in more developed markets. There will be a heavy focus on large sample quantitative research, especially in Asia and Africa and the outputs will be used extensively in influencing long term business strategy as well as day to day decision making. In short, you have the opportunity to fundamentally transform how one of the world’s great journalistic organizations understands and connects with its global audience.
The role offers significant opportunities to work with the wider Audiences team within the World Service, operating as part of project teams to deepen our understanding of our existing and prospective audiences across all platforms; web, social, radio and TV
Are you the right candidate?
The successful Senior Research Executive will have:
- A deep knowledge of quantitative research methodologies and rich experience of doing/commissioning quantitative research is critical. Research experience in international markets (especially Africa, Asia and Middle East) will be a plus for the role.
- The ability to lead on / take independent charge of multi-disciplinary/ multi method research projects.
- Demonstrable ability to synthesise data/ insights from different sources and arrive at strategic recommendations will be essential.
- Experience in using qualitative and other insights to inform creative / marketing briefs and/ or account planning experience will be highly desirable.
- A proven record of working on / leading projects which have had a demonstrable impact on an organisation
- Great communication skills- and ability to work with rest of diverse World Service Audience Insight team
- An interest in and appreciation of the cultures, peoples, and current affairs of other countries/ markets is desirable.
Contract type: Continuing Contract
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here