Senior Software Engineer in Test - Audience Platform, PLATFORM
BBC Audience Platform is one of the BBC’s biggest and most ambitious online projects. The ultimate aim being to personalise the online and mobile experience and engage more effectively with our audience. Our services include, BBC account (sign in), recommendations, big data warehousing and analytics, insights, notifications, participation services such as comments and voting and data warehouse solutions. You will be part of a team transforming the BBC into a data-driven organisation supporting the delivery of the BBC’s services such as iPlayer, News, Sport, Children, Weather, Radio and TV to millions of people. Our tech stack is largely Java, Node.js and Cloud (AWS).
In BBC Audience Platform we use the latest tech, with teams that inspire innovation and autonomy, striving towards Continuous Delivery. Our products span the whole of the BBC and reach millions of users! Not only will you be working on great projects and with cutting edge technologies you will be surrounded by a team of like-minded Technology professionals from whom you can learn and grow. We regularly have Technical Brown bag sessions and frequent Hackathons. This is an environment where we love to share ideas, challenge the traditional with our goal of taking the BBC on the journey to be a Digital First organization.
This exciting role sits in the Audience Account team, building new features and looking after the mission-critical Single Sign On platform for all the BBC public services. To succeed, we need to deliver elegant user experiences, as well as a service that’s performant and reliable at scales to tens of millions of users, in a secure manner. The Account Back End team is an agile team who are responsible for building and maintaining this system that is currently based on the ForgeRock platform. We are continually pushing the boundaries of what is possible on this platform, which is deployed within AWS and we develop and support a number of related systems.
As a key member of this dynamic Agile team you will be responsible for:
- Building and maintaining BBC Account’s test system
- Continually pushing the boundaries of what is possible on automation
- Developing new features for the test framework.
- Bug fixing and improving the quality of the product.
- Helping to scale and deliver our Account platform for the future
The BBC Account test systems are written in mostly Scala and we use Python to package and it is hosted in AWS. They are largely testing the ForgeRock products OpenAM, OpenIDM, OpenDj and a wide range of AWS services. We have a continuous integration system based upon Jenkins and Cosmos. We don't need you to be an expert on any of these, but some use of them, along with an understanding of their underlying architecture, would be great. Don't feel that you can't apply if you don't have all of the skills.
Are you the right candidate?
- Extensive high-quality software engineering experience of testing RESTful web services.
- Experience of any automation test framework.
- Experience of a team-centred methodology like Scrum or Kanban in an Agile environment.
- A passion for new technologies and different testing tools.
- Experience of owning issues and taking them to a successful conclusion.
- Great communication skills and experience in resolving cross-team issues.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.