Senior Broadcast Journalist (Digital), BBC Somali service
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of a historical and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is increasing its digital and TV operation for the Somali audience.
BBC Somali operates a digital first strategy and publishes content online and social media platforms, alongside producing radio news and current affairs programmes in Somali. Our focus is to create world class digital content that makes sense of news and events in Somalia and its neighbouring region.
We are looking for a Somali speaking, senior digital journalist to shape digital editorial development and delivery across all our digital platforms. You will be expected to help influence the growth of digital skills and approaches across the BBC Somali team.
BBC Somali thinks mobile first and you will be expected to use your extensive knowledge about the user experience to deliver exciting, visual journalism.
The successful candidate will produce shareable content for online and social, including text stories, picture stories and videos. You will identify the latest apps, trends and digital story treatments which BBC Somali should be using.
As a senior journalist you will take a lead around editorial problems, developing realistic, alternative strategies and approaches for yourself and your team. Line management duties will also be part of your role, including the development of staff.
The Ideal Candidate
- Significant recent experience as a digital journalist both in originating ideas and material and in editing the work of others.
- A full command and up to date knowledge of spoken and written Somali as a first language.
- A good knowledge of English including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Excellent news and editorial judgment.
- Ability to supervise the journalistic work of others and manage staff including assisting in their training and development. A good understanding of how to manage and motivate others.
- Demonstrable track record of imaginative and advance understanding of social media and mobile platforms.
For further information please read the job description which can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
Nine month fixed term contract
Role based in Nairobi
Local terms and conditions will apply
About the Company
We don't focus simply on what we do; we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you have read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You will be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.