Senior Broadcast Journalist Persian
BBC Persian reaches a weekly audience of nearly 18 million people in Iran, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, and around the world, providing content on TV, Radio, Digital and Social Media platforms. It is one of the BBC’s most popular and successful global services.
In recent years, media market in our target countries has gone under fast changes and we have seen increased competition from other TV channels. Therefore, BBC Persian has to continue to adapt to ensure it retains the respect and engagement of audiences and its leading role in the market.
AIMS OF THE JOB
To take editorial responsibility for stories originating from Afghanistan. To produce a number of items including complex and lead items, and oversee the work of the team. To manage staff, give regular feedback and engage in their development. To give guidance to others on the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines.
- To be involved in the production of content for TV, Digital & Social platforms including live reporting, anchoring, script-writing, packaging, and translating.
- To write for the website, digital and other social platforms ensuring that the highest quality content is created for our audiences and that content conforms to BBC editorial standards.
- As a Senior Braodcast Journalist, to advise on daily news agenda; to assign, brief and supervise individual Broadcast Journalists, and other production crew of items through to transmission; to determine priorities of production and resource staff.
- To alert editors to breaking news and be ready to file accurate and immediate on the spot reports
- To help report Afghanistan to our target area, international and UK audiences in both Persian and English.
- To advise BBC Persian Editors and other BBC News Departments about news stories and events
- To take a lead role in production of complex stories. To oversee the work of others. Producing includes:-
- To research, write, translate, edit or adapt items, stories or programme material.
- To find contributors and interviewees as well as other sources of material as appropriate and to the required specification
- To be responsible for a moving story, amending and updating material as required. To think through and take a lead around editorial problems, developing realistic alternative strategies and approaches for oneself and others.
- To offer ideas for stories and items, programmes and series, take a lead in pre-programme and planning meetings as required. To suggest new angles and formats on existing stories in order to bring them to life for the audience. To take a lead in multi-media production which includes producing and reversioning material for, TV , online, digital and radio.
- To perform on air and in front of a camera with or without a script, conduct interviews and chair discussions, live or pre-recorded.
- To oversee strategic planning and research and to co-ordinate coverage of major events across all output. To be responsible for wider planning and coverage.
- To be involved in the training of BJs and other production staff.
- To be familiar with different technical systems, including news production systems, and set an example in learning to operate new technology systems and adapting to different working methods.
- To travel inside and outside of Afghanistan on short reporting or field producing trips and assignments.
- To be prepared to move to other programme teams, including online and radio, on a multi-media basis and work across a range of skills and in a flexible manner
- To observe, carry out any requirement outlined in the BBC health and safety and security policy, be responsible for conducting risk assessments when appropriate.
- To be willing to work to shifts that can mean early starts, late finishes and weekend working.
- To manage team rota
The Ideal Candidate
- A full command and up to date knowledge of spoken and written modern standard Farsi, as first language.
- A good knowledge of English including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Considerable relevant experience as a journalist
- Ability to supervise the journalistic work of others and manage staff including assisting in their training and development. A good understanding of effective team work and how to manage and motivate others.
- Experience of originating and developing creative ideas and of producing live, breaking news stories.
- Experience of managing resources.
- Wide, thorough and up to date familiarity with the target areas and an in-depth understanding of its news and current affairs, history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience.
- A thorough knowledge of, and interest in, international current affairs, as they affect the target area.
- An extensive knowledge of the media situation in the target area and the way it is developing. Ability to anticipate changes in the market and to plan and guide the Service’s output accordingly.
- Excellent knowledge of internet & social media and its potential
- Experience of using technical equipment or ability to learn.
- A thorough understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda and a wider interest in the strategy of the BBC as a whole.
- A thorough understanding of the editorial aims and policies of BBC journalistic output and willingness to adopt the BBC Values.
- In depth knowledge of the law as it applies to journalism.
- An awareness of the BBC policy on Health and Safety and Security.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
BBC WORLD SERVICE – BBC Persian ( Kabul Bureau )
Designation: Senior Broadcast Journalist, BBC Persian Service in Kabul
Grade: Local Hire - 12 Months with possible extension
Reports To: News Editor, Persian Newsgathering and Planning – Senior News Editor Persian Online
With a dotted line to the Kabul Bureau Editor
Hours: Rota pattern including weekend and late shifts