Senior Commercial Manager
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Commercial Manager to join the Commercial Supplier Management team within BBC Design and Engineering.
The BBC Design and Engineering team is responsible for the management of the BBCs largest outsourced strategic technology contracts, broadcast support contracts and provides SME commercial advice across all divisions of the BBC. We manage and are accountable for contractual and commercial aspects of the management of these technology contracts and work closely with Technology and Business stakeholders to achieve the best value for the license fee payer by optimising technology spend and working closely with our technology suppliers to deliver against the BBC Design and Engineering strategy.
Purpose of Role
As the Senior Commercial Manager you will be responsible for the contractual and commercial aspects of the management of technology contracts; providing expert professional advice and support to BBC divisions and to senior stakeholders regarding third party supplier services and providing strategic commercial direction to projects.
Additionally, you will provide leadership to Commercial Managers within the team, ensuring that highly complex commercial matters are dealt with effectively.
Design and Engineering Division - BBC
Division scope of activities and responsibilities include (but is not limited to):
- Setting the Technology Strategy for the BBC
- Management of 3rd party supplier and technology partner contracts
- Delivering on projects of all sizes up to and including multi-million pound technology infrastructure and software projects
- Ensuring IT and telephone infrastructure availability for all BBC platforms and systems
- Responsibility for keeping our radio and news channels on air and on-line
- Working with output divisions on developing and delivering their technology strategies
- Managing the BBC’s Archive
- Managing the BBC’s Distribution of content
- IT, Information security, and Business Systems across the BBC
Commercial and Supplier Management
Commercial and Supplier Management is a team within the Design & Engineering Division whose scope of activities and responsibilities include:
- Provision of proactive commercial advice to stakeholders at all levels across BBC.
- To ensure the BBC attains best value from its commercial relationships and adopts best practice in their management.
- In partnership with technology suppliers, to drive initiatives to achieve additional value from the contracts.
- To assist the BBC in ensuring compliance with its responsibilities under technology contracts with suppliers and the effective resolution of any disputes.
- To ensure the BBC’s technology strategy objectives are effectively reflected in new commercial arrangements.
- To ensure all necessary processes are in place to support the effective management of its contractual and commercial relationships and lead the implementation of best practice in commercial matters across the BBC.
- Providing leadership at all times to the Commercial Managers within the Commercial Supplier Management team
- To be accountable for the set-up, operational and strategic management of technology contracts spanning multiple third party suppliers, and to lead the negotiation process between BBC and those suppliers for both contract variations and new business.
- To co-ordinate the monitoring of benchmarks and performance monitoring criteria where necessary in order to evaluate and optimise value-for-money and overall quality-of-service.
- To ensure BBC and third party supplier compliance with responsibilities and obligations under technology contracts and lead on effective resolution of any disputes including assisting Commercial Managers with their BAU disputes
- Develop and maintain strong professional working relationships with suppliers, BBC stakeholders, BBC divisions, senior management and BBC departments (Finance, Legal, Procurement, Service Assurance, Business Development etc.) as required.
- To ensure adherence with BBC corporate policies and that the BBC’s strategic objectives are effectively reflected in new commercial arrangements.
- To ensure that records are maintained and effectively managed to a level that withstands scrutiny by senior management, internal auditors or organisations such as the NAO and that industry best practise is applied to contract and commercial matters. To ensure that commercial and contractual objectives of technology contracts are effectively tracked.
- To ensure the effective governance of technology supplier contracts including resolution, escalation and management of complex commercial and contractual issues as they arise.
- To provide expert professional advice and support in the management of contractual and commercial matters to BBC divisions and to senior stakeholders.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have an in depth knowledge and a demonstrable track record of successfully negotiating and managing services contracts, ideally gained within a technology, broadcasting or telecommunications environment. With demonstrable strong negotiation skills, you will be able to utilise technical, commercial and legal information to achieve the desired outcome with suppliers, customers, partners and stakeholders.
Core areas of expertise:
- Expert manager of complex Stakeholder groups
- Expert negotiator ensuring delivery of complex contracts and services
- Highly motivated individual who is comfortable in dynamic environment
- Extensively experienced at defining and delivering against commercial strategy
- Experienced in successfully leading change
Grade 10 (Proposed band E)
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.