Our Group Tax team manages all the BBC’s UK tax compliance and globally provides compliance and advisory support, for both our Public Service areas and commercial subsidiaries.
We are now looking for a Senior Finance Business Partner to work at the heart of the team, leading on Corporate Tax, engaging with our stakeholders and ensuring that we remain compliant with tax legislation. You will also work with the wider team including Corporate Finance, Treasury and our commercial subsidiaries leading on initiatives, and managing senior stakeholders.
You will be responsible for direct tax across the whole of the BBC, ensuring that we are compliant and providing strategic advise to the business.
Acting as the expert and point of reference for all matters related to direct tax, you will work with rest of the tax team and the wider business supporting stakeholders and providing the advice and guidance needed to ensure that we are fulfilling our tax obligations. A key part of your role will be to use your professional judgement to support the business, and ensure that our actions do not create long standing financial consequences.
Due to the unique nature of our structure the tax position is complex, and part of your role will be to help the business understand what these complexities mean, and explain what we need to do to manage them.
Key responsibilities include:
· Leading on initiatives, and providing advice on structuring and financing
· Provide proactive and pragmatic direct tax input and advice on new initiatives, business line expansion and strategic plans across all business units
· Managing, enhancing and advising on Group Transfer Pricing documentation and Country by Country reporting (CBCR)
· Support and review the year-end tax provisions across the BBC Group, including deferred tax
· Provide updates and recommendations to the businesses on new legislation relevant to the management of corporate tax
· Provision of direct tax input to wider initiatives including Senior Accounting Officer requirements
· Represent the BBC Group with all external agencies, in its dealings with corporate tax (to include HMRC, Overseas tax authorities, external and internal auditors, professional advisors and lawyers, BBC customers, freelancers and suppliers)
· Continually evaluate ways in which existing direct tax processes across the BBC Group can be further aligned, improved, automated and efficiencies created
· Manage UK and overseas direct tax controversy
You will also deputise for the Group Tax Director as required.
For full remit, please see the Appendix section of the attached JD.
The Ideal Candidate
You will be a fully qualified Chartered Tax Advisor, with a background of working in complex and diverse organisations in Corporate Tax for the UK and overseas. It important that you keep abreast of UK and international tax law, with the ability to apply it in practice for a complex business.
The role will involve working with many areas of the business, including those that do not come from a financial background, therefore strong communication skills are essential. The ability to take quite often complex and jargon heavy principles and translate them into simple, effective language is of paramount importance.
You will have experience of working strategically and collaboratively, in an in-house environment, to deliver compliance, mitigate tax risk across the organisation and support new business initiatives
Contract type: Permanent
Location: White City, London
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here