The BBC builds some of the most widely used digital services in the UK, working at a scale only rivalled by the US tech giants. We are now expanding the analyst team within the News and Sports digital products and so offering the chance to join and shape a new team within some major products that your friends and family might well use.
Work done by this team will define the development roadmaps and then the team will manage the experimentation of new feature releases ensuring our development is delivering value to the widest possible UK audiences.
Working within the Product team you’ll see the impact of your work, being part of the wider data family within the BBC you’ll learn from and share your knowledge and experience with a wide range of data professions both within the digital estate and working across the wider business.
Reporting into the Lead Data Analyst this Senior data analyst role offers a great development opportunity for someone with who has started to build a career within the Product area and who wants to develop this future within a collaborative team.
- Work closely with the News or Sport product teams to ensure our data tooling has been implemented correctly
- Transform business requirements into technical specifications developed with other members of the Digital Analytics team
- Work with engineers in Web and Apps teams to implement tracking in iOS, Android Apps and websites
- Help with acceptance criteria and troubleshooting of analytics related issues and provide QA sign off for tech implementation
- Provide subject matter expertise concerning the solution roadmap for tracking across business
- Working across mobile, web and television platforms supporting Product Managers, Business Analysts and working closely with Software Engineers.
When not working in the implementation area projects might also include:
- Providing insight into how the audience interact with the products, who they are and how we can make their experience more enjoyable and ensure they return.
- Help design and analyse results of A/B or MVT tests and use other causal methodologies to show impact of new features developed
- Building and maintaining dashboards using Tableau helping other members of the team self-serve information (and allowing you to focus on analysis)
- Involved in planning the data the BBC collects both online and form offline or non-BBC sources.
- Helping non-data oriented colleagues understand where analysis can help them with their day to day roles
- Researching modern approaches to Data Analysis and making recommendations
- Support analytics colleagues in managing projects and fielding queries including helping in the development of junior colleagues within the team
The Ideal Candidate
A strong candidate for this role will have some or all of the following:
- Industry experience in a Data Analyst role, preferably in digital products.
- Experience of using tools such as Google 360, ATI, Adobe Analytics or similar tool digital analytics platforms including implication of tagging for data collection
- Good technical implementation aspects pertaining to digital tracking
- Well versed in analysing core data and building interactive visualisations in tools such as Tableau
- Comfortable working alongside cross-functional teams interacting with Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientists, and Analysts
- One or more scripting languages e.g. SQL, R, Python (we can teach the ones you don’t have, but demonstration of aptitude is important)
- An understanding of how digital products use data within development
- Interest, knowledge of on-demand AV media products, news media, or online publishing with a knowledge of key competitors
- Interest, knowledge, and experience in marketing digital products
- Passion for team delivery of complex project delivering impact
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Flexible (London or Salford)
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here