BBC Wales is the nation's broadcaster, providing a wide range of English and Welsh language content for audiences across Wales, as well as flagship programmes for network.
Home to some of Wales’ brightest and boldest talent across a range of disciplines, BBC Wales’ Marketing and Audiences department is playing a leading role in reinventing BBC Wales for a new generation. Working with some of the biggest brands in Wales and beyond, the department champions the needs of the audience, looks for opportunities to innovate, delivers outstanding creative content and makes sure people know how and where to find it.
Working with colleagues across the Marketing and Audiences – Wales department, our Audiences team analyses data from a wide range of sources, providing insights to help the business make important strategic decisions as well as influencing the content it makes in English and Welsh across all platforms. The Senior Data Analyst will get under the skin of the rich digital data and will deliver audience insights that provide creative inspiration to our content producers and enable us to provide even greater value to our audiences in Wales and beyond.
• To liaise with colleagues in the BBC Wales Audiences team, network Audiences team and other Nations to ensure a regular flow of information and insight from the data available, in order to:
o track performance of BBC Wales content in Wales and beyond
o track consumption of BBC content by audiences in Wales
o identify opportunities for content makers in BBC Wales based on data driven insights
• Analyse performance of BBC Wales’ online, social and signed-in performance to provide regular insight for teams working across the business
• Being creative in the use of data, engaging stakeholders with a selection of data visualisations, clearly landing the message
• Maintain and develop a performance reporting system that provides regular data on BBC Wales’ online, social and signed-in performance, enabling progress to be tracked over a period of time and best practice identified.
• To present findings and insights to content teams as well as colleagues in Marketing and identifying opportunities for the promotion of BBC Wales content to particular signed-in audience segments inside and outside Wales.
• To keep abreast of and influence developments in the BBC’s audience research capabilities in order to provide a Wales specific total audience view.
The Ideal Candidate
• An experienced data analyst and / or social media analytics expert with the ability to gather and interpret data from various sources and translate into actionable insights.
• Previous experience doing data analysis using both large structured and unstructured data sets
• Experience to an intermediate level of SQL, Python and R skills, Excel as well as experience of using the visualisation tool Tableau
• Experience of developing user friendly performance reporting that is easily interpreted by a wide range of individuals from different backgrounds.
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to engage an audience. Is able to tell the data story to all levels and has the ability to respond to difficult questions and challenges.
• Adaptable and flexible, with the ability to quickly master new technical capabilities and identify ways in which they could be exploited for the benefit of audiences in Wales.
• Experience of developing and maintaining successful working relationships with key stakeholders, building trust and winning the right to challenge and influence.
For this role / Ar gyfer y swydd yma:
(d) Welsh language skills are not necessary / Nid yw sgiliau yn yr iaith Gymraeg yn angenrheidiol
Applications may be submitted in Welsh, and an application submitted in Welsh will not be treated less favourably than an application submitted in English. / Mae modd cyflwyno ceisiadau yn Gymraeg, ac ni fydd cais a gyflwynir yn Gymraeg yn cael ei drin yn llai ffafriol na chais a gyflwynir yn Saesneg.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 25 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here