BBC Global News is the home of the BBC’s award-winning international news, sport and features content, which reaches over 137 million people around the world on TV, online, apps and social media each week.
As the world’s most trusted international news broadcaster, we offer accurate, impartial news via our 24 hour news channel - BBC World News - and BBC.com, along with a broad range of insightful and in-depth features across BBC WorkLife, BBC Culture, BBC Future, BBC Reel and BBC Travel.
There is now an exciting vacancy for a Senior Data Engineer working within our data and analytics/Business Information team.
As a Senior Data Engineer you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to ensure that the BBC’s data management, analytics and data science services are put into effect and matured in the area that you support to transform business capabilities and enable the next generation of Broadcast and Digital services. You will be a specialist in your field with expertise in at least one technology, software, infrastructure, application, digital or broadcast and production domain. You will provide knowledge and guidance to multiple stakeholders. You will have an appreciation of how the complete range of data science specialisms impact your area and you will use this knowledge to ensure you deliver data-informed change, improve decision making and creative reuse of assets across the area that you support.
The focus of the role will be on supporting strategic data projects across Global News with a particular focus on connecting to and transforming data from a number of audience and commercial platforms, so that the output can feed into further process e.g. Machine Learning, segmentation, and audience insight
In particular you will be responsible for developing and maintaining pipelines for the ingest, processing and summarisation of audience and commercial data. You will also be keen to adopt best practice for ingest and processing of data and ensuring data is stored in the most efficient manner for onward processes.
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven experience in a Data Engineering role or in a similar role.
- Extensive experience programming in Python or in other programmatic ways (R, SQL)
- Extensive experience writing production-ready code
- Experience with agile development (Kanban, Scrum, etc.)
- Solid knowledge and experience in applying appropriate cloud technologies for big data processing and for developing ETL pipelines (e.g. Spark, Hadoop)
- Excited and knowledgeable about data pipeline solutions based on Amazon Web Services or Google Platform (e.g. Athena, Glue, S3, BigQuery, DataFlow, Redshift, Lambda, Step Functions)
- Understanding of TV, Digital or new Media would be advantageous
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here