The BBC is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved brands. Our product development teams build two of the most key BBC products: BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds. All the best product development teams make data-informed decisions, which is where our data team comes in.
This team is responsible for analysing, and automating the analysis of, analytics data, helping the organisation to answer the important data questions to drive BBC iPlayer & BBC Sounds to be the best it can be for our audience.
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer to be part of this team to help us to build data pipelines and automated data analysis tools.
- Build big data batch analytical solutions, leveraging data transformational technologies
- Ensure that the code we write is robust, reliable and scalable.
- Participate in the team’s software development methodologies, such as code and documentation reviewing, and continuous delivery
- Review and give feedback on other engineers’ code
- Contribute to creation of data flow diagrams
- Help improve existing data sources and integrate new data sources
- Conduct database design, design key and indexing schemes and design partitioning
- Work with our Technical Architect and analysts to resolves conflicts between models, ensuring that data models are consistent
- Evaluate and provide feedback on future technologies and new releases/upgrades
- Participate in the team's agile planning and delivery process
The Ideal Candidate
- Extensive experience programming in Python, including experience using it to manipulate data structures
- Extensive experience writing production-ready code
- Experience developing ETL pipelines
- Excited and knowledgeable about data pipeline solutions based on Amazon Web Services (e.g. EMR, MWAA, Athena, Glue, S3, Redshift, RDS, Lambda)
- Experience in establishing data applications into production in a cloud environment
- Experience writing automated unit and functional tests
- Passion for big data technology and analytics
- Extensive experience using SQL
- Good communication skills
- Have a background in Software Engineering
- Experience with Airflow
- Experience with Apache Spark / Amazon EMR
- Good understanding of data analysis tools and techniques
- Good understanding of tools for monitoring data quality within a complex organisation/product
- Good understanding of database development standards and data flow modelling
- Good understanding of industry practices to improve data quality
- Understanding of data governance, compliance and related procedures, with experience managing risk around information management.
- Experience configuring CI/CD pipelines
- Experience in coaching and mentoring less experienced team members
- Experience using a TDD approach
- Understanding of A/B testing & experimentation
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here