The Visual and Data Journalism department is an award-winning team within the Mobile and Online division of BBC News. It brings together journalists, online designers, TV designers, developers and picture editors to provide compelling visual coverage of the biggest and most significant stories.
We use our skill and creativity to engage and inform our audiences using information graphics, data visualisations, animations, motion graphics and multimedia storytelling across TV, the web and social media.
The team is looking for a creative data journalist to boost its data journalism output as part of a major expansion of the existing Data Team. The role is expected to make a major contribution towards the publication of award-winning cross-platform data projects.
Examples of our work can be found at @bbcnewsgraphics.
- To generate ideas for data-driven stories and for how they might be developed and visualized
- To explore those ideas using statistical tools – and present them to wider stakeholders from a non-statistical background
- To report on and analyse data in a way that contributes to telling compelling stories on an array of news platforms
- To collaborate with reporters, editors, designers and developers to bring those stories to publication
- To explore and summarize data using relational database software
- To visualize and to find patterns in spatial data using GIS software
- To use statistical tools to identify significant data trends
- To represent the data team and the Visual Journalism team at editorial meetings
- To lead editorially on data projects as required and oversee the work of other data team colleagues
- To use skills and experience to advise on best approaches to data-led storytelling and the development and publication of data-led projects
- To develop a thorough understanding of the BBC News aims and the part this job plays in meeting them.
The Ideal Candidate
You will be a self-starter, brimming with original ideas on how to best apply data-driven journalism. You will be eager to finds ways to complement news stories, when appropriate, or to identify original stories that can be carried by all outlets. You will be able to delve behind headline figures and then confidently and succinctly explain the fuller picture to our audiences as well as other colleagues from BBC News.
You will be excited about developing the way that data is interpreted and presented online via desktop, tablet and mobile as well as on TV and social media.
You will be able to work closely and productively with journalists from across BBC News and BBC World Service, as well as with web developers and technical designers, to achieve the very best award-winning data journalism.
You will need to be able to work to tight and demanding deadlines.
You will be focused on creating content that will engage our UK and global audiences, providing them with useful, and where possible, personalised information.
Contract: 1 x continuing contract and 1 x 9 month fixed term contract
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.