The BBC aims to stimulate and delight audiences across the UK with distinctive, creative content. To support this aim, the BBC is entering a new period of significant and exciting change, developing new capabilities in order to define a BBC that is fit for the next generation by creating technology solutions and organising data to shape a personal BBC for each of our users.
The Data Protection Office acts as a technical resource to the BBC, providing advice and operational assistance with the practical implementation of complying with relevant data protection legislation, regulation and guidance .
As a Senior Data Privacy Advisor reporting to the Data Protection Officer and working on instruction from the Data Privacy Manager, you will work as part of the Data Protection Office to ensure that the BBC processes and handles personal data lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner, while facilitating the development and maintenance of products and services to transform business capabilities and enable the next generation of Broadcast and Digital services
- Implementing systems and controls to ensure compliance with relevant data protection legislation and regulation.
- Ensuring privacy by design is imbedded across the BBC for all products and processes.
- Providing technical and practical advice, knowledge, insight and guidance, supporting stakeholders to navigate compliant use of personal data for new products, services and changes to business processes.
- Advise on high risk/complex processing activities.
- Conduct Data Protection Impact Assessments and other privacy risk assessments.
- Drive a positive privacy awareness culture throughout the BBC.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of working in a data protection compliance role that involves the practical delivery of privacy and assessment of risk into product or service design
- Good practical knowledge and application of key data protection legislation (including PECR)
- Experience assessing and drafting complex risk assessments
- Experience of drafting privacy notices/policies
- Experience of working pro-actively collaboratively and business partnering across a diverse range of mid-senior level stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Desirable but not essential
- Qualified lawyer, law degree or relevant industry qualification (CIPM or equivalent certification showing familiarity with principles of Privacy Programme Management or Practitioner certificate in Data Privacy/Protection or equivalent)
- Broadcast, production, start-up or media experience
- A mix of public sector and commercial experience
If you have some but not all of these skills, we’d still be interested in hearing from you. We are looking for people with the right attitude and offer excellent training.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London/2-3 days in the office
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here