Senior Data Scientist, BBC Global News
An exciting opportunity to work with one of the world's leading news and media organisations on a portfolio of award-winning, global, consumer-facing products. This role will be an integral part of the innovation and architecture work stream inside the BBC Global News Digital and Tech team.
The senior data scientist will provide thought leadership in data science for BBC Global News to super charge our user and revenue growth, help us to strengthen BBC as a global brand that customers truly love and trust.
Working collaboratively with the product, engineering and data science team across BBC, the senior data scientist will lead the data science and machine learning implementation within Global News to improve existing products that are being used by hundreds of millions of customers, as well as prototyping advanced concepts that are built around data and NLP, helping us to test and turn new ideas into workable products.
The Digital and Technical Team at BBC Global News is responsible for several of the BBC’s international products including but not limited to:
We are looking for a senior data scientist who is eager to apply data-driven techniques to deliver a real positive impact on the company, product, internal users and most importantly our readers globally.
The ideal candidate should have a broad experience and proven track record in successful machine learning and data science deployment in a consumer facing online environment. He/She will be leading the data science application within BBC Global News, having the responsibilities including but not limited to
- Implement a systematic approach to see beyond the stats and understand how our users interact with our products and feed insights to inform our product strategy
- Actively identify and validate use cases for machine learning application across the business.
- Design, communicate and negotiate technical solution and implementation plans with various stakeholders
- Lead the implementation, operational planning and continuous improvement of machine learning application for products that are used by hundreds of millions of our customers globally
Are you the right candidate?
- Excellent capability to identify machine learning opportunities with measurable consumer and business benefit, ability to design and articulate supporting solution and engage product, engineering and commercial stake holders at various knowledge levels
- Proven records of delivering large scale machine learning implementation, preferably in a consumer facing online environment, e.g. recommendation, profiling, targeting etc.
- Ability to apply latest technical papers into implementations, rapidly prototype and deliver minimum viable products.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Machine Learning languages e.g. Python or R, ML frameworks and toolkits (e.g. Tensorflow, PyTorch, Keras, scikit-learn etc) and ability to deliver data science application with a 100% hands-on approach.
- At least 3 years’ working experiences of modern analysis methods and machine learning approaches such as Collaborative Filtering, Matrix Factorization, Hybrid Recommendation, Neural Networks, NLP, CNN, RNN, LSTM, BERT etc.
- Experience of cloud analytics platform (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP etc)
- Solid understanding of Big Data systems, SQL and Data Engineering
- Experience to work in an agile delivery environment
- Self-motivated and confident to work independently and proactively
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, Broadcast Centre
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here