Senior Data Scientist
join the newly created BBC datalab and help the BBC create a better audience and colleague experience through the clever use of data. With the datalab we are building a central capability that spans the whole BBC (TV, radio, news, web) and builds on existing data work across the organisation (including marketing & audiences and research & development). Our role is to tell a compelling story about the value of data and put in place the technology and capability that will allow other teams to move faster with data in the future.
As a data scientist, you will build machine learning algorithms on top of our datasets to help with audience and colleague decision making. You will help educate the wider organisation on the power of data science and ensure that we are aware and on top off technological trends in this area.
- Designs experiments, test hypotheses, and build models.
- Conducts advanced data analysis and complex designs algorithm.
- Works with the data engineer to ensure that the information used is in compliance with the regulatory and security policies in place
- Qualifies where information can be stored or what information, external to the organization, may be used in support of the use case
- Identifies and analyses patterns in the volume of data supporting the initiative, the type of data (e.g., images, audio, video, text, clickstream etc.) and the speed or sudden variations in data collection
- Collaborates with the data engineer to ensure that the information used follows the compliance, access management, and control policies and that it meets the qualification and assurance requirements
- Partners with the data engineers to define the data quality expectation in the context of the specific use case
- Recommends ongoing improvements to methods and algorithms that lead to findings, including new information
- Presents and depicts the rationale of their findings in easy to understand terms for the business.
- Presents back results that contradict common belief, if needed
- Communicates and works with business subject matter experts
- Educates the organisation both from technology and the business perspectives on new approaches, such as testing hypotheses and statistical validation of results. Helps the organisation understand the principles and the math behind the process to drive organisational buy-in
- Provides business metrics for the overall project to show improvements (contribution to the improvement should be monitored initially and over multiple iterations)
- Demonstrates the following scientist qualities: clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, logic, significance, and fairness
- Provides on-going tracking and monitoring of performance of decision systems and statistical models
Are you the right candidate?
- Bachelor degree in mathematics, statistics or computer science or related field; Master degree preferred.
- Relevant quantitative and qualitative research and analytics experience.
- Solid knowledge of statistical techniques.
- The ability to come up with solutions to loosely defined business problems by leveraging pattern detection over potentially large datasets.
- Strong programming skills (such as Hadoop MapReduce or other big data frameworks, Java), and statistical modeling (like Pyhthon or R).
- Experience using machine learning algorithms.
- Proficiency in the use of statistical packages.
- Proficiency in statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting/predictive analytics, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of one or more business/functional areas.
Please don't worry if you don't tick all the boxes, still apply as attitude and cultural fit is super important to us!
Grade 9 (Proposed Band D)
Flexible work options available
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.