We're looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our Data Science Team. This is a permanent role and can be based in either London or Salford.
Imagine if Netflix, The Huffington Post, ESPN, and Spotify were all rolled into one - you’re starting to get close to what the BBC does online!
The BBC’s world-class online products (iPlayer, News, Sport, Music, Radio, and many others) reach millions of audience members every week, and create more than 1 Billion rows of data per day, but our work doesn’t stop there. We’re also working with other, “offline” parts of the BBC to help them gain an even better understanding of their audiences and aid their decision-making.
The Data Science team are responsible for designing and developing data mining tools, modelling complex problems, discovering insights and identifying opportunities through the use of statistical, algorithmic and visualisation techniques.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you’re an expert who is the go-to person for advanced analytic queries from across the business. Working closely with Product, Editorial, and Marketing teams, you will consult, analyse and present results back to the stakeholders and deliver real business change.
Within the Data Science team, you will support the design of experiments, test hypotheses, and build models. You will also conduct data analysis and help build and design moderately complex algorithms. You will have good knowledge and experience of SQL and either Python or R for data analysis and model building, with the ability and desire to learn new techniques and keep up with this fast moving field.
The Ideal Candidate
- Statistical modelling and analysis experience in either Python or R
- Typically holds an advanced degree in mathematics, statistics or computer science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Experience working with large datasets and using big data specific technologies (such as Apache Spark, Presto, or equivalent)
- Good experience in the use of statistical packages and machine learning algorithms
- Familiarity with basic concept of distributed computing and/or distributed databases
- Demonstrable ability to quickly understand new concepts-all the way down to the theorems- and to come out with original solutions to mathematical issues
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of one or more business/functional areas
- Contributing to the development of area of specialism or industry domain
- Broadcast, production, start-up or media experience
- A mix of public sector and commercial experience
- Participation in published documents within your area of specialism
- Successful academic background in your specialist discipline
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: London or Salford
- Flexible / hybrid working - opportunities across the business
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here