We are seeking experienced candidates for our Senior Development Producer Pool who would be selected for future opportunities working across either the BBC Studios Entertainment and Music (EM) or Factual Entertainment and Events (FEE) Divisions, all in close collaboration with the Development Executive Producers and the rest of the development team. It is an exciting time for BBC Studios Development as we pitch beyond the BBC to the other terrestrial channels, SVODS and within the ever-expanding digital marketplace.
The successful candidates will know and have a passion for TV formats on either side of the EM or FEE scale and be able to demonstrate involvement in the development and commission wins for recognisable formats for major broadcasters, streamers or platforms. They must have the ambition to develop the next generation of genre defining, returnable formats for audiences that expect the best in Bold, British Content from our slate. They will thrive on coming up with and leading on new ideas in collaboration with the wider team as well as be expected to develop projects independently.
The successful candidates in the Senior Development Producer pool will have strong attention to detail, be excellent writers, have demonstrable previous experience in taking on a non-scripted development project from initial idea to completion, as well as be confident shooting and editing taster tapes or sizzles where needed.
Crucially, they will be excited about the possibilities of the rapidly changing media landscape and willing to take on the challenges this new era heralds. They will be able to demonstrate an understanding and overview of the industry, including commissioners and recent commissions and cultural trends to develop non-scripted ideas/formats around. But above all they must have extensive experience in the development sphere for non-scripted TV content at Senior Producer / Producer level along with an expected passion for TV and creating great non-scripted TV broadcast formats.
Specific to the desired candidates for the pool, we are looking for candidates to demonstrate an encyclopaedic knowledge of EM and FEE broadcast TV (non-scripted) formats along with fresh ideas and ambition to develop the next generation of genre defining, returnable formats.
Entertainment & Music
The Entertainment & Music team are responsible for producing some of the biggest and best loved brands including; Strictly Come Dancing, Big Night In, Glastonbury, Children in Need, Elton John: Uncensored, A Question of Sport, Radio 1’s Big Weekender, Comic Relief, Later…with Jools Holland and BBC3’s upcoming series Dance Crush.
For EM, significant experience working for Entertainment, Quiz/Game, Music or unscripted TV content-focused development or production companies for major Broadcasters and Platforms would be ideal.
The Factual Entertainment and Events team produce a wide breadth of popular content including; The One Show, Top Gear, Gardener’s World, Dragon’s Den, Crimewatch Roadshow, Amazing Hotels: Life Beyond the Lobby, Wanted Down Under, Bargain Hunt, Antiques Roadshow, Countryfile as well as all Royal Ceremonial Events coverage and much more.
For FEE, significant experience working for Fact Ent, Ceremonial Event and/or Consumer-Daytime development for major Broadcasters and Platforms would be ideal.
- Utilise extensive prior experience in developing EM or FEE formats so you can successfully implement the development strategy alongside the Head of Development and Development Executives.
- To work to the Development Execs and alongside other Producers, APs and Researchers to originate ideas and move the development slate forward with drive and creative vision.
- Provide editorial support to the team, in areas including the development of commissioned projects, recommending key writing / directing / producing and on-screen talent, working on initiatives around development strategy and helping to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the development slate.
- Be the key point of contact between Production and the creative community.
- Proactively undertake research to identify and develop new ideas/materials and new talent, through keeping abreast of both the UK and Global markets.
- Be a strong editorial lead within the team, supporting the vision of the Creative Directors and Heads of Development from conception through to commission.
- Have an ability to work unsupervised, exercising initiative and assessing priorities but referring upwards where appropriate.
- Have a keen eye on and understanding of financial consequences of editorial decisions, flagging to the senior leads and adapting where needed.
- Consistently bring to the attention of the senior leads, the latest cultural trends and topics, an awareness of material currently in development and potential gaps in the UK and Global markets.
- Manage and confidently execute run-throughs and commissioner pitches which may include a need to (genre depending) write run-through scripts or quiz questions for example.
- Maintain accurate administration systems alongside the rest of the development team to ensure the slate is run seamlessly.
- Commitment to the BBC Studios Values and Behaviours.
- A thorough knowledge of the BBC Studios Health & Safety policies.
The Ideal Candidate
At BBC Studios we want to be the best British content company in the world by attracting the best creative talent, so we bring premium quality award-winning programmes, content and brands to the viewer no matter who or where they are. BBC Studios believes diversity is at the heart of this and welcomes applications from all backgrounds, in particular, those from underrepresented diverse groups.
Please note; this is not an entry-level role, only candidates with existing experience in non-scripted TV format development in the EM or FEE genre will be considered so please do not apply if you do not have this.
We would love to hear from people who have:
- BOTH a minimum of 3 credits at Development Producer level AND a least one Senior Development Producer level credit working specifically to develop non-scripted EM or FEE ideas in the TV content / TV broadcaster space for EM or FEE formats.
- Proven success in devising and producing original non-scripted formats in either the EM or FEE space for TV broadcasters / SVOD / digital platforms.
- Demonstrable involvement in the development and commission wins for recognisable EM or FEE formats for major broadcasters, streamers or platforms.
- Existing credits and experience developing innovative non-scripted content with a solid EM or FEE angle for TV broadcasters / SVOD / digital platforms.
- Previous experience working in non-scripted EM or FEE broadcast TV content production to a minimum of AP/Producer level alongside demonstrable experience in non-scripted EM or FEE development for TV broadcasters. Any EM or FEE content experience with SVOD / digital platforms is desirable.
- Evidence of spotting and introducing up and coming potential on-screen talent along with creating innovative ideas for new on-screen talent vehicles in the EM or FEE TV broadcast space.
- Sound editorial judgment with the ability to demonstrate balanced and objective judgment based on a thorough understanding of the target audience, editorial and other guidelines along with a strong ability to enhance and follow programme and departmental objectives.
- Excellent writing skills with a confidence and ability to work up strong pitches, treatments or decs under the guidance of a Development Executive and lead where necessary.
- A strong ability to foster a collaborative environment, communicating effectively and working alongside all members of the team from junior to senior.
- An effective and inspiring communicator, able to enthuse and engage with teams whilst developing the next great genre defining, non-scripted content propositions.
- A passion for, and in-depth understanding of, the requirements of the non-scripted realm for the EM or FEE genre.
- There is no responsibility for finance
- There is no responsibility for line management
- May lead and participate in ad-hoc teams
BBC Studios is a global creative powerhouse for the development, production and distribution of bold, British, content. We produce over 2,500 hours of content per year, operate in 22 markets and generate revenue of £1.4bn annually. We are the most awarded Production Company and the biggest independent producer in the UK.
Contract type: Various dependent upon need
Location: (London, W12 / Salford, Media City / Bristol / Cardiff / Belfast)
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here