Senior Finance Business Partner - Corporate Finance
A new opportunity has arisen for a Senior Finance Business Partner at the BBC within Group Corporate Finance.
The Group Corporate Finance team actively identifies, supports and helps deliver on opportunities and initiatives that ensure the BBC achieves its strategic and financial goals. It is a centrally-based team with an advisory and assurance focus. The team has a strong track record of former members moving into roles across the BBC.
The Group Corporate Finance team provides expertise within the BBC on the assessment of commercial opportunities for the Group; advice on the performance of the commercial subsidiaries and shareholder oversight of the subsidiaries; scrutiny of transaction and non-transaction corporate finance matters; consideration of the value for money the BBC delivers; and assurance in the alignment of strategic, operational and financial objectives.
The nature of the team means that the role will be high profile within the BBC, regularly dealing with senior stakeholders and with colleagues in Group Finance, Strategy, Policy, Commercial and the Director-General’s Office.
There are two Senior Finance Business Partner roles in the Group Corporate Finance team, with a joint remit to provide corporate finance leadership and expertise across the BBC Group’s activities. The Senior Finance Business Partners report directly to the Group Director of Corporate Finance, Tax and Treasury, and take an active role in leading and delivering the activities covered by this team.
The role entails
• Collaborative relationships across the BBC’s finance leadership teams, public service divisions, Group functions and commercial subsidiaries
• Acting as a critical adviser to appraise, challenge and resolve key business initiatives and issues
• Providing assurance and delivering recommendations and solutions, based on high quality, concise and sound financial and strategic analysis
• Influencing BBC decision-makers in the shareholder oversight of the BBC’s commercial subsidiaries and solving complex pan-BBC challenges
• Managing projects that progress the BBC’s commercial strategy, adopting a pan-BBC collaborative approach that can often require playing a coordination role across multiple teams
• Referencing and championing external and BBC-wide knowledge of best practice in corporate finance financial analysis, ways of working or driving commercial performance (including benchmarking analysis, industry monitoring and liaising with external advisers when required)
• Working closely with Financial Reporting, Tax and Treasury colleagues on financial monitoring and initiatives across the Group
• Managing Finance Business Partners and Analysts within Group Corporate Finance to optimise their work and oversee their development
Are you the right candidate?
A background in leading corporate finance projects and providing advice to internal or external stakeholders or clients will be important. Further, a background in working with internal and external stakeholders on policy and/or strategic matters and applying corporate finance expertise in order to advise colleagues would be advantageous. Such a background would ideally include:
• Demonstrable corporate finance experience: Gained in an advisory (e.g. financial consultancy, boutique or investment bank), a corporate environment or in a similar organisational context to the BBC, over a number of years. Including experience in mergers and acquisitions; diligence; shareholder management; equity and debt issuance; and management of deal or non-deal corporate finance activities (such as pre and post-deal planning, assessment and integration)
• Project leadership and management: Leading corporate finance projects to conclusion and results. Including scoping projects; establishing timelines and milestones; managing multiple processes; setting priorities and escalating issues
• Expertise in corporate finance analysis: Including a proven understanding of valuation methodologies and assessments, analysis of transactions, financial returns and structures and experience in developing value for money assessments
• Presenting and reporting: Significant experience in presenting and reporting complex analytical, shareholder and stakeholder matters to senior colleagues and external parties (including regulators or counterparties). Strong track record of providing written, formal advice on such matters at Board or senior stakeholder level
• Stakeholder management and partnering: Experience in influencing and persuading stakeholders, shareholders or counterparties and providing challenge, scrutiny, advice and assurance where required in relation to both transaction and non-transaction matters. Working collaboratively across organisations and with partners
• Team leadership and knowledge sharing: Actively leading, supporting and developing colleagues – including colleagues from corporate finance and non-corporate finance career backgrounds – to enable colleagues to progress their careers and acquire know-how and expertise
Selected candidates will be invited to an interview with the Group Corporate Finance Director and one other colleague. Candidates may expect a second round of interviews with the Group Corporate Finance Director and other senior colleagues.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here