We are looking for a talented Senior Frontend Engineer, with a good balance of technical and communication skills. You will be working with project, product, business analyst and technical leads to understand requirements and implement suitable technical solutions.
Yours is a vital role as you enable the visuals that stimulates, emotes and improves our understanding of the BBC News that we consume. Through the innovation of web technologies, automations and commands you programme and provide the tools to embed the graphics that enables the audience to consume and better connect with powerful stories.
We are the Broadcast Automation and Graphics team and we provide software solutions for the creators of content across the BBC. Our software integrates with broadcast systems used in the BBC to automate workflows and animate graphics. It is also used to manage programme information, such as running orders and metadata.
We build user interfaces for our tools using:
- Responsive web clients ( ES2018 / ReactJS / Preact / SCSS )
- Internal design framework (int-gel-matter)
Also, for our server side systems we have:
- Microservices running on the JVM built using the Spring Boot framework with a Gradle based build toolchain
- MySQL, MongoDB, CouchDB and Postgres Databases
- Integration with VizRT and CasparCG Render engines
For all of our components, we aim to have a unified CI/CD platform, which has Jenkins build pipelines producing Docker images that are deployed to Kubernetes clusters or simply orchestrated with Supervisor.
And of course automated testing of this using RSpec regression suites written in Ruby!
Some of our software is hosted on-premises, whereas other components are deployed on AWS.
We're a fun team made up of 5 to 10 engineers, comprising a unique mix of front-end, back-end and broadcasting expertise. We are a highly collaborative team and get to explore, solve problems creatively, consolidating all of our expertise and creating visuals that connect powerfully with our audiences.
We value our staff, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as ‘innovation time’ - allowing dedicated time for self-improvement, learning and innovation. We take the time to reflect and improve on how we are working through team retrospectives and individual mentoring. We are a hard-working team who is supportive, who cares about each other and promotes a healthy work-life balance. We offer opportunities for flexible working and a friendly working environment.
The Ideal Candidate
Here are the technical skills we are looking for, you may have experience of some, but not necessarily all of them:
- Designing and writing front-end software ( ES2018 / ReactJS / Preact / VueJS / SCSS )
- Using CI/CD & cloud technologies (such as AWS) to implement deployments
- Experience with broadcast technologies and frameworks such as CasparCG and GStreamer
- Expertise in choosing and applying design patterns and coding best practices
- Ability to rapidly acquire new technical skills and to work with new technologies
Other desirable skills are:
- Software testing best practices and knowledge of at least one testing framework
- Knowledge of Kubernetes, Ansible, Docker, CEF and Jenkins
- Experience in back-end coding (NodeJS, JAVA)
- Experience with messaging servers such as ActiveMQ, AWS SQS
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to do a coding test in December, and those who are successful in the test will be invited to remote interview in the following weeks.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London Broadcast Centre - Media City
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here