We are currently seeking a highly talented, creative frontend specialist to join our in-house team on TopGear.com. We have just completed a successful redesign along with a complete rewrite and rebuild of both our frontend and backend systems and we are now entering an exciting phase of expanding our online presence and offering to our users. You'll be joining our team at a time when you will have the opportunity to experiment, try out new ideas, and come up with innovative solutions to help our online business grow
You'll be joining a multi-disciplinary and lively team who sit at the heart of the TG business, alongside editorial, commercial and ads and audience growth. As a senior software engineer you will regularly interact with backend devs, UX and stakeholders (technical and non-technical). Therefore, great communication skills, a willingness to contribute to the entire lifecycle of a new feature from inception to development and all the way to its deployment is a must. We follow agile development methodologies and best practices with an aim to ship incrementally and often.
Post Covid restrictions lifting, we will be moving to a hybrid way of working, which will involve a combination of working remotely and office working. We're a sociable bunch and enjoy each other's company but flexible working hours and a supportive approach to your wellbeing is a key priority at Top Gear. The BBC offers a range of benefits including:
- Health insurance
- Gym membership
- Cycle to work
The Ideal candidate for this role will:
- Have a high level of expertise in the application of Enterprise Class IT technologies within the Broadcast and Production environment
- Be an advocate for security best practice with a security first mindset.
- Be comfortable working across the full stack of broadcast and production infrastructure.
- Be forward thinking and encourage the adoption of new technologies where appropriate.
- Please note you do not have to have all of the above so if interested please apply
The Ideal Candidate
- Standards compliant, semantic HTML5
- Responsive design
- REST web services
- Test automation
- Version control systems (we use Git)
- Experience with pattern libraries
- SEO knowledge
- Continuous integration
Join a motivated group of software engineers with a supportive engineering culture. We embrace open source technologies and are passionate about performance and reliability.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, Flexible
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don't focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviors in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.