BBC News NI is recruiting senior journalists to the Digital News team. We are looking for experienced journalists to join the core team of Senior Journalists responsible for ensuring our news, features, digital video and social media output reflects the BBC's reputation for world-class journalism.
The successful candidates will have; a high standard of written English, evidence of writing concise and accurate news stories, a track record of original journalism, a sound knowledge of politics, current affairs and ongoing issues in Northern Ireland, video production skills, a reputation for creative thinking, and a thorough grasp of the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines and journalism law.
We value the benefit diversity and inclusion brings and we welcome information on any reasonable adjustment we can make to ensure you can fully participate. For example, this may be extra time for a meeting or interview, information in different format or a venue which has wheelchair access. Please contact the resourcing team firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our recruiters will be in touch to discuss how we can help.
- Assessing, sub-editing and publishing daily content from our journalists
- Assigning tasks to journalists, commissioning news articles and features and managing the Northern Ireland news index.
- Contributing daily to the production of original journalism by the BBC News NI team
- Motivating teams to react quickly to breaking news stories with fast, accurate and editorially and legally sound copy
- Daily production and editing of video, audio, stills and graphics to enhance our offering for all our digital platforms
- Dealing with complex editorial and legal issues
- Developing and complying engaging social media content while demonstrating a thorough understanding of the editorial benefits and dangers of social media
- Prioritising and planning activities considering all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Complying hourly radio bulletins
- Liaising daily with teams in Radio and Television to promote an integrated approach across all platforms.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidates will have;
- Substantial experience in writing concise and accurate news stories for daily news websites/outlets
- Evidence of excellent copy-editing skills
- A sound knowledge of politics, current affairs and ongoing issues in Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and further afield.
- A track record of original journalism
- Daily experience of creating and moderating social media content
- Experience of daily production of video, audio, stills and graphics for digital platforms
- Knowledge of BBC digital production applications is preferred but not essential.
Contract type: 1 x 17.5 hours permanent; 1 x 17.5 hours 6-month fixed term contract
For roles which are open to flexible working arrangements, should you be successful, we can discuss different options. For more details on the BBC Flexible Working Policy visit https://www.vercida.com/uk/features/flexible-hybrid-working-at-the-bbc
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services while the coronavirus is still an issue. Until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here