BBC Arabic is the largest BBC language service, providing news, current affairs and programmes on Radio, TV and Online to Arabic speaking audiences in the Middle East and across the world, 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
We are looking for outstanding and creative journalists, to work primarily on digital content for BBC Arabic digital platform.
Reporting into the Online Editor, you will work primarily on digital content for BBC Arabic website, digital and social platforms. You will be translating daily news and journalism into exciting stories to the highest possible editorial standards, targeting under-represented audiences. You will offer ideas for innovative digital content, bringing new angles and formats to existing stories and maximise social media and digital platforms.
You will be expected to work day and night shifts.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will need
- A full command and up-to-date knowledge of spoken and written modern standard Arabic, as first or equivalent language and excellent knowledge of English, including complete comprehension of written and spoken English.
- Strong interest in and thorough knowledge of the Middle East and North African news agenda and the international news agenda.
- Significant recent editorial experience specifically in digital journalism, including in originating ideas and material, and in editing and overseeing the work of others.
- A clear understanding of the needs of BBC Arabic’s digital audiences and detailed knowledge of digital markets, industry trends and the latest technological developments.
- Demonstrable experience of imaginative and advanced use of a range of social media platforms, and an excellent understanding of the role of social media in BBC Arabic’s journalism.
Local Terms and Conditions apply
Contract type: 12 Month FTC
Location: Cairo, Egypt
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here