Senior Journalist, Investigations - BBC Arabic Programmes
BBC Arabic is the largest BBC language service, providing news, current affairs and programmes on Radio, TV and Online to Arabic speaking audiences in the Middle East and across the world, 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
BBC Arabic documentaries team produces long form award winning TV documentaries such as “Weapons of Mass Deception” and innovative digital projects like “IS Tunnels”. Its Goodbye Aleppo film has just won an International Emmy. The documentaries team works closely with flagship UK and global facing output, including BBC News at Ten, Newsnight, Panorama, BBC Stories, and Our World. Its content is shared on BBC Arabic which has a weekly reach of around 40 million people.
BBC Arabic is looking for a dynamic Investigations Senior Journalist, to join the award winning Arabic documentaries team. You will be an experienced investigator with a proven track record leading high impact investigations.
The role will be mainly based in London but with the possibility of some overseas travel.
You will join a growing team at BBC Arabic documentaries where you will initiate and oversee investigations prioritising stories from tthe Gulf and the Maghreb. You will be managing freelance journalists in the field to produce challenging long form TV documentaries and digital documentaries that meet the BBC’s rigorous editorial policy and legal guidelines. You will also be expected to look for new investigation ideas and help to expand our pool of Arabic freelance investigative journalists.
Are you the right candidate?
The successful candidate will have the following skills:
- Open Source investigative skills in areas such as geolocation, satellite mapping, video verification, data journalism, social media mining, the dark web and networks of contacts in these fields
- In-depth knowledge of the Middle East, and in particular the Gulf and Maghreb
- A wide network of contacts in the Arab world
- Excellent Arabic language skills
- Experience in developing innovative digital story-telling
- Extensive knowledge of working in hostile and sensitive environments
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in UK
We are open to sponsorship
The maximum salary for this role is £58,000 per annum inclusive of all allowances
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here