Senior Journalist Reporter - Jerusalem
BBC Arabic is the largest BBC language service, providing news, current affairs and programmes on radio, TV and online to Arabic speaking audiences in the Middle East and across the world, 24 hours per day, and 7 days per week. The output is modern in style and outlook and adheres to BBC values of accuracy and impartiality. It has broad appeal, free from commercial, political and religious affiliations or pressures.
We are recruiting a Senior Journalist Reporter for BBC Arabic based in the BBC’s Jerusalem Bureau on Israeli terms and conditions of employment.
This role will lead BBC Arabic’s reporting in Israel.
We are looking for an outstanding and creative journalist to produce visual content for BBC Arabic TV news. You will work under the supervision of Assistant Editors and Senior Journalists to produce accurate, informed and interesting content to the highest possible standards. You may be required to produce and present programmes which may be live or recorded as well as content on radio, TV or online.
You'll originate and produce, as part of a team, a wide variety of news and current affairs content. You will report on-air and may be required to film and edit material for broadcast. An important part of the role is to deliver to tight deadlines, while maintaining high editorial standards.
Are you the right candidate?
- Modern standard Arabic to a broadcast level with an acceptable level of broadcast quality English
- Extensive reporting experience, including hostile environments and a willingness to be deployed at short notice in the country and across the Middle East & North Africa region
- A strong understanding and in-depth knowledge of Israeli affairs and their regional and international importance and relevance
- Experience of live and recorded location reporting, co-presenting and studio treatments such as presenting graphic sequences and on-set explainers and acting as a ‘presenter’s friend’ for analysis and updates
- A strong understanding and working knowledge of digital video techniques and social media broadcasting
- Some editing and filming skills would be an advantage
- Ability to suggest new angles and formats on existing stories in order to bring them to life for the audience
- Awareness of and enthusiasm for the growing importance of social media and the benefits and challenges it bring
- Ability to work effectively and calmly in an environment where news is constantly changing and being update
- Ability to work unsupervised
Please see the attached Job Description for more information.
Contract: Continuing (permanent)
Local terms and conditions apply
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Israel.
About the BBC
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here