Senior Journalist Reporter - Sri Lanka
BBC World Service is an international multimedia broadcaster, part of BBC News, delivering a wide range of language and regional services and working increasingly with other parts of BBC News to serve global audiences. It uses multiple platforms to reach its weekly audience of 426 million globally, including TV, digital platforms including social media, AM, FM, shortwave, digital satellite and cable channels.
We are looking for a Senior Journalist Reporter to join our team in Colombo and produce top quality journalism.
You will broadcast in Sinhala AND English on news stories and events in a timely, authoritative and engaging way which can be understood by our audiences in Sri Lanka and globally. You will propose, research, write, report and edit interesting and thoughtful, analytical pieces for broadcast on TV or radio or publication on digital platforms. You’ll need to produce content that meets the highest journalistic standards and fully observes the BBC Editorial Guidelines. Alerting editors to breaking news and being ready to file accurate, immediate reports as soon as possible is an important part of the role as well as using all formats and platforms available to tell the story.
The role is based in Colombo and you’ll be required to work flexibly and travel at short notice for reporting assignments across Sri Lanka and South Asia.
Are you the right candidate?
- Fluent in English and Sinhala
- Skills in digital, TV and radio - you should feel at home fronting a live piece on social media, writing text for bbcsinhala.com and bbcnews.com or pioneering other story-telling formats
- Experience of live broadcasting including live breaking news with a good on-screen presence, authoritative microphone voice and ability to communicate effectively to our target audience. A knowledge of and aptitude for using multimedia technology
- Balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC Editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views were necessary
- Demonstrable digital skills, including knowledge of how to exploit a story for our site and social media pages, reporting experience and proven skills in original newsgathering
- Work collaboratively with other Reporters and producers
- Ability to convey story and programme ideas and to contribute fully to the planning process
- Able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of information
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances
Please see the attached Job Description for more information.
Contract: Full time - Continuing (Permanent)
Local terms and conditions apply
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Sri Lanka.
About the BBC
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here